Issue with scorm 2004 and launch_data variable

Issue with scorm 2004 and launch_data variable

by Raphael Goldman -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

Our studio created a scorm package, in the manifest xml file there is a tag called adlcp:dataFromLMS.

the scorm version is 2004.

When I open the activity the return value of launch data is empty and the activity can't be open.

In moodle scorm 1.2 it works fine.

Someone have any idea?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Raphael Goldman

Re: Issue with scorm 2004 and launch_data variable

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Moodle doesn't provide complete support for SCORM 2004 - see here for more details:
https://danmarsden.com/blog/2013/05/06/stopping-work-on-scorm-2004/

in Moodle SCORM 2004 code cmi.launch_data is initialized when entering the SCORM with the data from cmi.exit (instead of dataFromLMS) - I'm not sure if that is a bug or correct 2004 behaviour and something else is causing your package to fail.

If you have funding available to help pay for someone's time to diagnose this further feel free to get in touch, otherwise you need to stick to using SCORM 1.2 packages.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by W Roes -
Picture of Core developers

I made some changes to scorm_13.js and scorm_13lib.php both in mod/scorm/datamodels (modified versions attached) This solves our problems. Maybe someone could test these and line them up to be included in a next version?

In reply to W Roes

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Great to hear you have it sorted for your use. Here are the conditions required to allow a SCORM 2004 related patch to land in the core code.

Issues related to the 2004 specification will be closed as "won't fix" unless the following conditions are met.

• A patch is provided by someone in the community that fixes this issue.
  • The patch meets Moodle's coding guidelines.
  • full testing instructions are provided that allows the issue to be tested correctly.
  • Unit tests (where possible) have been implemented.
  • The patch can be attributed directly to a SCORM 2004 ADL test that now passes with the patch (if the patch is related to running the SCORM package)
  • Screenshots of the SCORM 2004 ADL test being completed with the patch.

If funding is provided to pay for the time of the SCORM maintainer to review/test/develop some of the above are not fixed requirements. (I maintain SCORM as a volunteer.)

thanks!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by W Roes -
Picture of Core developers

I have attached a patch for this. It will work for Moodle 2.8 and 2.9. I'll leave it up to others to test and do whatever else is necessary.