Databases

Databases

by Barry Bell -
Number of replies: 4

Before I start asking for new features I should like to say, great job! smiley.gif

It would be nice if you had a module that had a few basic databases that could be modified by the systems operator.

For example it would be useful if I could create a database of books or supplies etc.

I can use basic code available to create my own databases and then use your linking system to hook up to the database but I find this to be a little cumbersome.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barry Bell

Re: Databases

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What do you mean by database?

Do you mean a listing for students to read? For many cases a simple HTML page would probably be sufficient (just use the resource module).

An actual database with tools to add/search/list entries with customised display is a little more complicated and I'm not sure why it has to be integrated with Moodle ... if you implement it separately you can still make it easily appear to be within Moodle using a 'Web page' resource.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
I'd also welcome such a functionality (database).

One of the possible uses I can think of is a collaborative dictionary/glossary, where the teacher sets up a database with fields like "word", "part of speech", "definition", "example sentence", etc. The students then fill up this database with new vocabulary/keywords they have encountered in the course.

Of course it might as well be a relational database, where one word could have several definitions (meanings), each meaning could have several example sentences, etc. However, this would be difficult to implement and might be too complicated to operate. I believe in 99% of cases a flat database would be just fine. The teacher can always create fields for "definition 1", "definition 2", etc.

I'm sure other moodle users could come up with more uses for a simple database module.

PS
I've known moodle for just a few days, but I think I'm already falling in love... smile
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hmmm ... yes, I can see some good use for something like that too.

It sounds like an idea for a new module.

If you feel like coming up with a more definite specification of it post it on the Activity Modules forum or post it as a new bug on http://bugs.moodle.com/ and eventually ... thoughtful
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
OK, I'll try to prepare a more detailed description of the module and will post it in the Activity Modules forum within a few days.