Building a University System With moodle challenge

Building a University System With moodle challenge

by Programmer Code -
Number of replies: 3
I have requirements for a program that require moodle,I never worked with moodle,I want to know what is possible with moodle right out of the box ,what i need to configure,do i need to code things in my own,is there is extensions that can help me,how long for some one who doesn't know moodle but know some php it's gonna take,

My Requirements: 

Create Faculties.

Email system

upload files for management and student 

create departments(HR ,Library..)

Student system :tests scores,financials records  .

Teachers system:upload Lectures,Give assignments to upload with deadline

RSS

Notification for student (test dates ,homework).

Online registration 

Communities 

Pictures gallery

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Programmer Code

Re: Building a University System With moodle challenge

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

My Requirements: 

Create Faculties.                                                                              Set up categories then create your courses in those categories

Email system                                                                                    Moodle is not an email system itself, but will link to your email system and there are plugins such as Quickmail that will allow you to send emails from within Moodle

upload files for management and student                                    If you mean setting up users, then you can do that in many ways, there is plenty of documentation here about authentication and enrolment. If you mean can managemtn and users use Moodle as a personal file repository, then yes, but bear in mind you will need appropriate file storage on your server.

create departments(HR ,Library..)                                                  Again, use the categories in the same way as for the faculties

Student system :tests scores,financials records  .                        Test scores from assignments can be stored in the grade book. Moodle is a VLE though and does not have facilities for financial records

Teachers system:upload Lectures,Give assignments to upload with deadline      Yes, all this would be part of the course content and activities

RSS                                                                                                  Yes

Notification for student (test dates ,homework).                           Assignments and so on are added to the calendar system. Moodle has an internal messaging system

Online registration                                                                          See the documentation about authentication and enrolment

Communities                                                                                   Depends what you mean, but Moodle has cohorts, groups, categories and courses and you can arrange these in whatever way you want to create community spaces giving users the roles to allow them to share and communicate as you wish

Pictures gallery                                                                               There is a lightbox gallery plugin (there may be others) that you can add into any course area to create a gallery - check out the plugins database to see what else you can do!

In terms of how long that would take to set up - that is impossible to say as we have no idea what content you need to put up, on how many courses in how many faculties, with what level of staff commitment or expertise. I can set up a basic moodle testing site in about an hour, but I wouldn't want to set up an entire university moodle site without proper server set up, testing, user testing, staff development, proper learning design and course development and THAT is what is going to take the time, far more than the technical set up.

To be honest,  what you have asked is there in these documents already. You will find a lot of benefit to reading through some of the Using Moodle docs pages already available.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Interesting question:
> I have requirements for a program that require moodle,I never worked with moodle,I want to know what is possible with moodle right out of the box ,what i need to configure,do i need to code things in my own,

So the requirement is Moodle, the question is what it can do? There are all sorts of answers to the question. Starting from https://docs.moodle.org/en/About_Moodle there are books, brochures, talks, etc. Although Moodle is given it is worth spending some time on this subject, to avoid future disapointments.

> is there is extensions that can help me,how long for some one who doesn't know moodle but know some php it's gonna take,

To do what? Moodle can do a huge lot out of the box. First have a look. Another useful resource is the sandbox, https://demo.moodle.net.

> My Requirements:
>
> Create Faculties.
> [...]

So there are other requirements after all. Another strong reason to study Moodle carefully. I have a slight doubt that you are looking for a SIS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_information_system aka https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=School_management_system.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Quite a number of Universities have adopted Moodle for their Learning Management System, I suspect at least one had adapted Moodle to act as their Student Information System also, but that must have been an incredible job, the SIS works well. However, these are actually two different Moodles, if they have done as I suspect. They obviously spent some time, effort and money to build what they wanted, using similar tools. It all looks PHP based, and there are shopping carts, internally generated PDFs for downloads, payment facilities via plastic or PayPal, everything needed in a Uni web site. I have no idea how, or what, they run for their Student Management System or their Daily Operations software, but I suspect that too is web based.  I do not suggest that their systems are built around Moodle, rather they spent some time and effort to make their systems, not seamless, but compatible, with Moodle as a large component of their system.  

Moodle is not, and cannot, be all things, but it can be a valuable component.