Problem with Android app v1.15 on tablets

Problem with Android app v1.15 on tablets

by Patrick Landry -
Number of replies: 9
We are having a problem with the Android app user interface on our tablet devices. We are running Moodle 2.7.3+ (Build: 20141211) and v1.15 of the Android app. The app works very well on our phones but on our tablets we cannot navigate past the selection of a course.

When the app is started on a tablet and a user logs in, you are presented with the welcome screen and the main menu. Selecting items on the main menu seems to work fine. If you select My Courses the drop down menu of available courses expands. Selecting a course causes the drop down menu of "Contents, Participants, Grades" to appear. Clicking on Contents refreshes the display and presents two columns. The left column is a menu of the course sections and the right column shows the contents of the General section. At this point the options in the left menu (which should allow selection of different course sections) becomes unresponsive. In addition you cannot select any of the resources displayed in the right pane. Long-pressing any of the Section items in the left pane does highlight the item (indicating that the press is being registered) but nothing happens. The same for the resources in the right pane. Selecting the "info" icon or download icon (where they are available) does register correctly.

We have tried this on several tablets and all behave similarly. I fully expected to see someone else reporting the problem here or in the bug tracker. Any assistance would be appreciated. We are looking forward to v2 of the app.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patrick Landry

Re: Problem with Android app v1.15 on tablets

by Yezi Yang -

I meet the same problem as you! I am just going to report this problem. It is quite a big problem to the institution I work in. Hopefully, someone can reply this question quickly.

I also try to just convert the original code with no changes from github to an app. It also has the same problem. I also try to login to Moodle demo site (school.demo.moodle.net) as a teacher and a student. Also, I try the app on a Google Nexus tablet and a Sumsung tablet. It also has the same problem. It seems to be something wrong with the mobile side. 

by Roland Sherwood -
We've just discovered the same issue here. It's a real showstopper, and unfortunately has forced us to delay deployment of v1.15 of our customised app.

@Juan Levya: please can you verify this is an issue with the v1.15 source? If it is, hopefully a fix can be implemented and an updated release made available asap. Unfortunately, waiting for Moodle Mobile 2 is not an option for us as we require a stable and feature complete version of the app as soon as possible.

by Yezi Yang -

This problem is reported for Moodle mobile 1.14 in Moodle Tracker (https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-994?jql=project%20%3D%20MOBILE%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%221.15%22).  It is told to be fixed in Moodle mobile 1.1.5 but actually it is not. I test Moodle mobile 1.1.5 with Samsung tablet with Android 4.4.2 and Google Nexus with Android 5.0.1. They both has this problem. 

This is a problem that should be fixed before. It becomes a big problem in our institution that many students are trying to view their module contents in Moodle mobile on tablets but they only see a small part of the contents. I hope someone can fix the problem as soon as possible.

In reply to Yezi Yang

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello,

we are trying to reproduce this problem but it seems it work as expected in our devices.

In any case, we will release a new version for fixing this issue before MM2 is published

Regards

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello,

I updated https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-994 , can anyone download the referenced apk there and test if it's solved?

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Yezi Yang -

Hello,

I install the new Moodle mobile from the link. It works very well. Thank you very much! I really appreciate your hard work. You are really a credit of Moodle community.

Best Regards,

Yezi

In reply to Yezi Yang

by Juan Leyva -

Thanks for testing, I just uploaded a new apk to the Android store

Hope it fixes the problem for all the users

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Roland Sherwood -
Hi Juan. Just to add my own thanks for investigating and fixing this issue so swiftly. Thanks also for updating the Moodle Mobile github repository; we'll now be able to roll out our v1.15 custom app as originally planned.
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Patrick Landry -

This does seem to have solved it for me. This APK is working on a Samsung Tab S running Android 5.0.2. We will test on some other devices and advise if there are any problems. Thank you for your prompt attention.