CSV import error: "One of the grade values is larger than the allowed grade maximum of 100"

Re: CSV import error: "One of the grade values is larger than the allowed grade maximum of 100"

by Barbara Taylor -
Number of replies: 6

I'm updating this in case anyone runs into this issue.

Site admin > Grades > General settings > Grade point maximum.

The other setting to check is Site admin > Grades > General settings > Unlimited grades to allow point values that are over 100% for a given item.

Make sure the Admin setting "Grade point maximum" / gradepointmax is >= the largest assignment at your school. It defaults to 100.

Also if you create a grade item through import it defaults to 100, so creating it first with a point total of 150 and /or allowing "Unlimited grades" / unlimitedgrades. Though you will still need to change the max grade to 150.

Barbara

In reply to Barbara Taylor

Re: CSV import error: "One of the grade values is larger than the allowed grade maximum of 100"

by Sundi Richard -

Just to be clear, it is not enough to change the Grade Point Maximum in the Admin Grade Settings. We MUST also change it to allow Unlimited Grades? 

I am asking because there is a warning that grades for the entire site could get recalculated if this setting is changed. How will this affect other courses? 

In reply to Sundi Richard

by Mark McKay -

Grade Point Maximum is the highest grade you can make an activity worth. If you raise it to 200, you couldn't import a score of 205. Allow Unlimited Grades enables the instructor to give, for example 205 out of 200, (or 105 out of 100).

Which specific setting is saying the site could get recalculated?

In reply to Mark McKay

by Sundi Richard -

Thanks for responding Mark. 

I have Grade Point Maximum as 300, and the grade max is 117 for the grade item in the course, but I still can not import grades over 100. 

In Admin >> Grades >> General Settings, it give the warning that " all grades will be recalculated". I've put a screenshot of my settings below. We are running Moodle 2.8.

In reply to Mark McKay

by Sundi Richard -

I tested this in our Sandbox and choosing yes to "Unlimited Grades" allows me to import grades higher than 100. However, this also changes / allows course totals from automatically calculating to100 in the "Natural" aggregation, which could be a problem for courses already configured to automatically change this to 100.  

In reply to Sundi Richard

by Mark McKay -

I'm not sure what you mean by your last reply. Can you elaborate and show an example?

In reply to Mark McKay

by Sundi Richard -

Hi Mark,

I was mistaken. Clicking on "Unlimited Grades" did work. Thanks.