Assignments with different answers for each student

Assignments with different answers for each student

by Tom F -
Number of replies: 6
Dear All,

Is it possible to set up questions where different students should get different answers? At this time I am looking at Moodle, I am interested, but I have not started using it yet.

I am looking for software that will automatically assess the output of student assignments, or at least the numerical parts of them. This is for a large class of >100 students and multiple assignments. As part of a scheme to avoid plagiarism each student obtains different correct numerical answers to their problems. Thus if student A should get 2.56342 for question 1, student B should get 3.42975 and no two students should obtain answers that are identical. The method of calculation is the same in each case, but students have different input parameters that change the solution. (I should add at this point that the numbers cannot be obtained with simple or complex formulae from the input parameters: a significant amount of work is required to generate each answer; I have written a piece of software that generates these answers.)

I am wondering if it would be possible to use Moodle to handle the submission of student answers/assignments and also mark/grade the results for at least the numerical parts of the assignments. So far I cannot see a way of the same question having different answers for different students in Moodle.

I have tried to check if this question has been asked before and I have not found anything yet, but I am not sure of the best way to search for it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom F

Re: Assignments with different answers for each student

by Tiffany Morgan -

Would creating a category of questions and then having using the randomization option in the quiz get the same result? The category could include a large number of questions so that it would be unlikely that any two students would have the same question.

https://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Building_Quiz#Adding_a_random_question

In reply to Tiffany Morgan

by Tom F -

Thanks Tiffany for the reply.

I like the feature of random questions and I may well be using it for quizes in a different course, but it does not help in this case I am afraid. All students get exactly the same set of questions, but put in different parameters and should obtain different answers. (and it is not possible to calculate the answers with the formulae in Moodle)  

In reply to Tom F

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Tom,

There are a number of question types that can give you what you are looking for: Calculated, Calculated Multiple Choice, Calculated Simple, Variable Numeric, Variable Numeric Set, and Variable Numeric Set with Units.

Calculated question types are built in which means you can try them out in your own Moodle without having to add anything. The Variable types are add-ons and need to be added as a set.

I personally like the Variable Numeric as it seems easier to set up so that students DO get totally different numbers and answers for the same question.

The following example is the same question, just viewed two different times so the numbers are different. The correct answer is based on the numbers showing in each question example.

It is also possible to use MathJax, LaTex, etc to control the look of your questions. For instance this:

Will give you a question something like this:

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Tom F -

Thanks Al, unfortunately the calculated option is not suitable here (as mentioned in the original post), thanks for your reply, though, and I plan to introduce the options you describe in a different module I teach.

In reply to Tom F

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Tom,

I think you would get a better response if you posted this is the quiz forum.  Assignment is a digital submission module in Moodle where students upload files or submit online text for assessment.

Have you looked at question type plugins for quiz like variable numeric?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Tom F -

Hi Rob, I reposted to Quiz as you suggested - the link you put in looks interesting and it looks like it might be a potential solution for me, but I need to look into it. Many thanks