Contradictory doc on cron jobs for web cluster

Contradictory doc on cron jobs for web cluster

by Job Céspedes Ortiz -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

I think the doc has contradictory info on  whether a recent version of moodle can have a cron job in each node (asuming same app instance and one database) or only a cron job in one node:

For 2.7 cron job: NO

"If both your servers are web servers, and they jointly serve one Moodle instance (in some sort of a cluster), then only one server should run the Moodle cron job"

For 2.7 upgrading: Yes

"Clusters with multiple identical application nodes are supported, you can run cron on all of them"

If using a version prior 2.7, one app instance, one DB, can I config a cron job in at least two nodes (for High Availability)?

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Job Céspedes Ortiz

Re: Contradictory doc on cron jobs for web cluster

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I suspect the upgrading document is correct and the other was simply not updated between versions. 

To be honest this change is news to me. What I can't tell you - but would be interested to know - is if there is an advantage in doing this. Up until now I have tended to recommend using a dedicated front end just for cron. I don't know if this changes things.