Re: hello backups

by deb chitester -
Number of replies: 17

I set up auto backups

I am not getting a notice.

What could be the problem?

I would ask since this is all online to be respectful of me for all. At times I am made to feel uncomfortable . I do not need it. In addition to losing my friend in the train accident on Tues, I have a sick child and am sensitive. I am worthy of help and I ask for no sarcasm or disrespect. Life is too short

Thank you for all the help so far. I am putting blog aside for now. I do not see my auto backups occuring when I set and I did follow what it said.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to deb chitester

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry to hear about your friend's loss and your child being sick, ideally give time to your child first and once you get free of all obligations then return to your moodle. Family always comes first!

for your automated backups, your CRON jobs aren't setup properly. To read more about CRON jobs, you can find information here : https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Cron

In reply to Usman Asar

by deb chitester -

Everything is set up properly. I do not need help knowing what to focus on. I still need help forum. Reading documentation has already been done.

by Jel Coward -

Hi Deb

Said gently and kindly, it is hard to know how to interpret your words. 

You have something that doesn't work. 

Someone kindly offers you help.

You reply with 'Everything is set up properly. I do not need help knowing what to focus on.'

....and yet you cannot get it to work and have asked for help...and there is some negative tone that comes across in your reply to the person offering help.

This is probably unintentional.....and is not something I am 'picking on', rather I offer you these kind words so that you might improve your approach to others and as a result, get the help you are asking for.

I feel this is difficult for you, and I am sorry for that.  My words are not intended to make it worse.

Cheers

jel

In reply to Jel Coward

by deb chitester -

what would be helpful is to have explained what chron is.

Please. then i can negotiate that with why the backups are not working.

by Just H -
In reply to Just H

by deb chitester -

i had updated chron. and now i notice it will not back up i just do not know how to troubleshoot despite this information

thank you for your response. I just need basic terms one might assume i know explained.

by Just H -

Is the cron actually running? 

If not sure go to "Administration > Site Administration > Notifications" and it will tell you the last time it ran:

If it says it hasn't been run for a while try going to "yoursite/admin/cron.php" and see if it runs manually.

In reply to Just H

by deb chitester -
I will check I know i did maintenance. and now i can not do backups. what is the relationship between the two? how can i fix? thank you for truly trying to help.

by deb chitester -
I did chron maintenance and set up auto back ups
What could impact the backups from chron? thank you
I am more than capable of understanding just need it explained properly

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

1. Please post a screenshot of yor automated backup settings.

2. Please post the line you put in cron.

3. Are you getting any emails from the site at all?

4. Are you sure backup is not happening? Have you checked tthe backup logs.

5. Did you check to see that cron is running as suggested?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by deb chitester -

do not know how to do screenshots.

i did maintenance in cron. then i noticed auto backups did not perform altho they are set to

I know they are not happening as i had been getting noticed.

i do not know how to check the "cron is running" not sure what this means.  I would appreciate patient direction. thank you

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Then list the backup settings as you have them.  Or google how to do screenshots on your computer.  If you want to get the most out of the forums, you need to give us as much information as possible.  So far, you have not given us much to go on.

What do you mean you did maintenance in cron?  You should have added a line to your cron - what was it?  Look at Site Admin/Maintenance and see if there is a date there showing what time cron ran last.

Please answer my other questions about how you know backups aren't running and if you are getting emails from the site..

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you'd been through documentation already as per your claim and still couldn't figure out how to go around your issues, then there is only one way to go that will solve all your issues.

click this link (http://goo.gl/FJwS6D) in getting all issues resolved without you putting any effort to your Moodle, and look at the bright side, you'll manage to get rid of your "virtual team" as well that had been busy and still couldn't resolve any issues, free them up for something good as well, essentially you are paying them for nothing. wink

In reply to Usman Asar

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

(Note from moderator)

Just to say I have deleted a number of posts from this discussion and messaged those concerned. They were in violation of our Site policy which asks that we Show respect and consideration to others at all times..

In reply to Usman Asar

by Derek Chirnside -

Usman, Jel and Mary, I guess you have done your best and we have tried.

Regards,

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)