Bootstrap and Moodle 2.9

Bootstrap and Moodle 2.9

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 19
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Something in Bootstrap is stopping the new Send Message Pop Up box from closing when you press the close button.  The send button appears to work ok but the close button does not work.  

It works just fine in other themes (except Elegance which is based on Bootstrap) so think it must a Bootstrap issue.  Anyone found a fix?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Bootstrap and Moodle 2.9

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Emma,

Are you implying that this is an Elegance issue?

The generic term 'Bootstrap' can be confusing as it is both a theme and a framework.  I think that you are implying the latter, but I think given your description that its really an Elegance issue because you say they work well in other themes, and core themes are based upon Bootstrap framework 2.3.2.  See: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=312844#p1252588.

Now given that Elegance uses Bootstrap framework 3.x via using the Bootstrap theme then that would imply a fault in the theme but not really the framework because Shoehorn also uses the Bootstrap framework 3.x but now is stand alone.  I've not yet tested Shoehorn in M2.9.

Now, given your description I would say that it is a JavaScript issue, therefore please see if there are any errors on the console.  Also, I notice that Elegance has not been updated for M2.8 and M2.9, that Bootstrap theme is available for M2.8 but not M2.9 where there needs to be changes to make an M2.9 version: https://github.com/bmbrands/theme_bootstrap/pull/360.  Therefore I suspect that there is a conflict in the loaded libraries somewhere.

What other themes have you tried?

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

P.S. Perhaps send some 'developer love' Danny's way and ask / pay him to create an M2.9 version of Elegance.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If I had any budget I would but I work in K12 education!

by Gareth J Barnard -

If no budget then you could still ask him nicely smile

At MootIEUK 15, Martin is quoted to have said "Software is free. Information is free. People are not. None of us should be free." - via https://twitter.com/developwithdan/status/598164954685005826

by Emma Richardson -

FYI - I decided to try out Shoehorn - it wouldn't let me do anything - just blasted a lot of errors and no page would load - (sorry, errors would be useful but I needed to move on - something about the core renderer - about has to be linked to the settings page because I couldn't even get far enough to select it as a theme) I had to uninstall it.... sad

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks for trying Shoehorn, Emma, but as I've said above "I've not yet tested Shoehorn in M2.9", oh, I stand corrected, so much stuff on the brain!  I've made a start on an M2.9 version: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_shoehorn/tree/master but not released on Moodle.org yet - that helped me to make: https://github.com/bmbrands/theme_bootstrap/pull/360.

If you have an M2.9 test server, then that GitHub version should be fine.

by Emma Richardson -

Thanks might try that - really don't want to have to rebuild with a whole new theme though.  Just tried it out of curiosity - hopefully Bas will get bootstrap fixed.

I will put a tracker item in.

by Emma Richardson -

I am saying it is a Bootstrap theme issue.

by Gareth J Barnard -

So, you've replicated the issue in Bas's Bootstrap in M2.9 then?  If so, what version are you using and if not this: https://github.com/bmbrands/theme_bootstrap/tree/MOODLE_29_DEV then could you put that on an M2.9 dev server and try it out?  Bitnami do a good installation which is now M2.9: https://bitnami.com/stack/moodle#

by Emma Richardson -

Just tried that version and same issue.  Definitely appears to be Bas's Bootstrap theme.  Works fine in Clean but not in Bootstrap theme.

by Mary Evans -

It is possibly something to do with the way messaging has been reworked in Moodle 2.9.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mari Cruz García -

Is this problem going to happen with all the themes based on bootstrap, then?

In reply to Mari Cruz García

by Emma Richardson -

I would disagree with Gareth and say, possibly.  If the theme fixes the issue within itself then no but if it is relying upon that feature from Bootstrap it will be an issue until fixed in Bootstrap.

by Gareth J Barnard -

But by the logic determined by the evidence in this thread its a Bootstrap v3.x issue only, therefore Bootstrap v2.3.2 themes are not affected.  Therefore my reply of 'no' is logically correct.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Potential confusion here based on the fact that Bas named his bootstrap3 theme simply 'bootstrap', so it is both the theme name and the framework that the theme (and so many others) are based on.

My take on the discussion - this is an issue relating to Bas' Bootstrap 3 theme called 'bootstrap', although possibly could relate to other/all themes using bootstrap3 (more testing required to determine that?) but it does not appear to apply to the themes using the bootstrap 2 framework. (In contrast to Gareth's earlier assumption about which was being refered to - although based on what has come from the discussion since then smile )

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Gareth J Barnard -

My assumption that it's a Bootstrap v3 in Bootstrap theme issue is based upon the original sentence "It works just fine in other themes (except Elegance which is based on Bootstrap) so think it must a Bootstrap issue." with the key object being 'Elegance' and then later discovery that Shoehorn is not being used.  As there have been no other indications of unknown Bootstrap v3 themes apart from the known Bas Bootstrap, Elegance and Shoehorn.  Therefore a 'Bootstrap v3' applied in a theme issue.  So, more logic than assumption.