We are pleased to announce the release of BigBlueButton 0.9.0, our twelfth release to date. BigBlueButton is an open source web conferencing system for on-line learning with deep integration with Moodle.
Our goals of this release were to
- improve the overall quality of audio,
- give Teachers more control over the recordings, and
- increase the likelihood that users enter with a functioning microphone.
- improved audio using web real-time communication (WebRTC) support in FireFox and Chrome web browsers,
- teachers can now choose which segments of their class are recorded using the Start/Stop Record button, and
- users now test their microphone before joining the audio bridge and can also join in Listen Only mode
We believe every student with a web browser should have access to a high-quality on-line learning experience. This release is a significant step towards that goal.
You’ll find detailed information on this release — including detailed overview, installation instructions (Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit), configuration, development instructions, and a frequently asked questions (FAQ) at our new documentation web site http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/. The BigBlueButton client is localized in over 30 languages. This localization effort is done entirely by our community.
The BigBlueButtonBN and RecordingsBN Moodle plug-ins (maintained by Blindside Networks) has been downloaded over 100k times in the last 12 months. See: https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=2.
For short tutorial videos on using BigBlueButton see http://bigbluebutton.org/videos.
We are very proud of this release and wish to thank all the members of the Moodle community who gave us feedback. We look forward to seeing educational institutions, commercial companies, and the BigBlueButton community at-large build upon this new release to delivery a high-quality on-line learning experience to remote students.
For more information on BigBlueButton visit http://bigbluebutton.org/.
Regards,... Fred Dixon