Enter course takes about 10 secs - Moodle 2.7

Enter course takes about 10 secs - Moodle 2.7

by Marie Brinck -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

I have a performance problem in Moodle 2.7.

Entering the course, by clicking the Enter course button, it takes at least 10 seconds before the course is available. THe screen is just blank. Second time I enter, the course is cached and the entering time is less.

I dont have any problemes working in moodle or access a quiz created directly in Moodle.

Only with Scorm packages. I rder to find a solution I have tested varous set ups such as create a course with no tracking, with no themes, using single activity or weekly etcetera.

Our IT department has investigated the entire setup but no changes affect the problem itself

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to solve the problem?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marie Brinck

Re: Enter course takes about 10 secs - Moodle 2.7

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What exactly is the "enter course button"? Screenshot?

In reply to Marie Brinck

by Marie Brinck -

Screen shots showing Enter course, see attachment

In reply to Marie Brinck

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

OK - this isn't entering a "course" (in Moodle terms), it's entering a SCORM module. 

SCORM issues are much more likely to be due to the SCORM module itself than Moodle. Moodle isn't really doing that much. The first thing to do is to try the module in a dedicated SCORM player (e.g. Scorm Cloud - http://scorm.com/scorm-solved/scorm-cloud-features/).

I'm also going to move this discussion to the SCORM Forum. 

In reply to Marie Brinck

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The white screen is probably coming from your SCORM package, not from Moodle. Some SCORM packages contain large files and are configured by the authoring tool to download all these files before starting the SCORM package. I suggest you ask whoever supplied you with the SCORM package for help. 

Most SCORM authoring tools implement a "loading/please wait" style message when large files need to be downloaded and others but we can't do much about this from within Moodle.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Marie Brinck -

Thanks for answering my question.

The only thing is when I try our courses in other installations, Moodle lLoud and SumTotal etcetera, there is no waiting time for loading the course at all!

I have ask our SCORM supplier and they say that they have never heard of waiting time. It works ok in their MOodle installation.

We also have the problem with alert "the internet is to bad for scorm player" showing all the time so I thought there is something wrong in the installation

In reply to Marie Brinck

by Abhi puri -
I've noticed this too. I logged all the DB calls made when the SCORM first loads, its making upwards of 1000 DB calls on the initial load. Perhaps trying to put together the path to all the little snippets that are hashed away in moodledata? not sure. Scorms are taking about 15 to 20 sec to load.

The same scorm when put out on a web directory, loads in under 4 seconds.