Teaching Database Design

Teaching Database Design

by Karl Angel -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Moodlers,

I was trying to find an activity whereby students could submit a database design based on a scenario.  Has anyone found a suitable activity which would facilitate this?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karl Angel

Re: Teaching Database Design

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What kind of 'database design'? 

In reply to William Lu

by Karl Angel -

Good question William.  I'm trying to find something that will show ER Diagrams? Without them resorting to submitting boring Word documents.

Also looking into Database Schemas.

Thanks.

In reply to Karl Angel

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Why Office format? The tool you are using in the class for ER design should allow saving the ER diagram in its own format.
In reply to Karl Angel

by Richard Price -

As Per Visvanath,

Moodle has a plugin for doing 'Mind map' style things, Which are basically ER diagrams. One of these might be the sort of thing you are after to get them thinking about tables and fields, relationships etc.

Personally, there is nothing even conceptually that can replace seeing your own database work in front of you. Screen shots or a copied table of results could be assessed in assignment etc.

In reply to Richard Price

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Richard

What I said was, if the teacher uses MySQL Workbench as the tool for designing databases, the course participants would upload their designs as *.mwb files in an assignment. The teacher can open them in his MySQL Workbench.

No, I don't believe in reimplementing all thinkable subject teaching tools in Moodle.