Problems with installation on Windows Server 2012

Re: Problems with installation on Windows Server 2012

by Usman Asar -
Number of replies: 19
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Adamah,

have you installed IIS and trying to run Windows Installer package?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Adamah Ruach -

Yes, I have...I have not use Windows Server in quite sometime but I have installed IIS and counters are available. When i "Start Moodle", i get this error "b2e.exe stopped working"; then i start it again; a few errors flash by then window closes and the third time it works then i type in the browser "http://localhost/ and the IIS displays in the browser.

it goes without saying I am a bit confused....any help would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Usman Asar -

OK, this is what is happening, the default port 80, is now taken over by IIS in priority therefore Apache is having difficulty using that port.

Now there are 3 ways you can resolve this:

1: Stop IIS and see if installer package works, if you dont intend to use IIS for sometime, then go into services and select MANUAL for IIS start up. so when you want to work on IIS, you can have the option available as well.

2: Allocate another port to Apache (for example port 8080) - you've to modify the Listen ports on Apache.

3: Uninstall IIS and see if Apache works, unless you have changed the listen ports on Apache.

Having said all that, there could still be possibility of localhost not working, as there are few more services that uses port 80, for example MS Sql Server reporting  services uses ports 80 as well Skype uses same port. 

Lemme know which option you went for, and then I'll reply accordingly.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Adamah Ruach -

thanks so much. I appreciate your patience [with me]...

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Adamah Ruach -

Need help registering a new site on Moodle. right now i type in "localhost" in the browser but does that give students access to the moodle site or how do I go about make the site accessible to students and staff?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Adamah Ruach -

how do i register my moodle stie to allow access by students and professors?

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You need to set the computer up with an ip address that they can access.  Then you will need to reference the ip address in config.php and then run replace.php (yoursite/admin/tool/replace/replace.php to update the database.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Adamah Ruach -

First thank you for your help. does it matter what version is running because I cannot find replace.php? I just need to change the database from "localhost" to the ip/name we have chosen. I started at the top of the tree, which is for us "Moodle" and got all the way to /replace but here was no replace.php file in that location. 

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry try index.php in the replace folder.  They keep changing it!

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Adamah Ruach -

replace.php (yoursite/admin/tool/replace/replace.php

does version matter because there was no file at the end of the chain that said replace.php. thanks...

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Usman Asar -

Adamah, excuse my slight ignorance in understanding your question.

What do you mean by allowing access? you mean to say that you want to use domain/website address and then let users get to moodle using INTERNET? or is it that you are deploying on INTRANET? 

If you can shed a little more light on your actual project of using Moodle? I mean like you are working for some institution? or setting up Moodle in home and want to give access?

and not to mention, are you still using the WAMP combo?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Adamah Ruach -

hey thanks for responding, got that problem solved. Now I am trying to run replace.php; to change database name and I cannot seem to find it. does it matter what version is running I need to run this to change database name i am told prior to registering with Moodle.

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Usman Asar -

Adamah,

the replace command you mentioned, will only take care of the things "within" the database (I believe it looks just into mod tables) and will not change the name of the database.

to change  the name of the database, you've to go to database management utility and rename your database, or if you have done it already, then go to config.php file in root folder of your moodle, there you'll find the information of database name and password, simply change the database name there.

that replace command is used when you want to change the domain/url of the site to some other, and few other things, basically what it does is, look into the database based on your query and then replaces it, as for example you searched for say http://192.168.1.2 and want to replace it with http://123.45.67.89, as being the new URL of your moodle host, then you can use that, I even use that replace tool for making other changes, like I have re-used image "myimage.jpg" and want to change into "myimage.png", I had done these things in past as well. but be cautious that any matching query will be over written, so it is always recommended backing up your database before running the replace tool, that is why replace is not directly linked into administration block.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Adamah Ruach -

I feel so dumb but I am being rushed to get this done. I promise  I will go back and take my time with learning this "Moodle"; where is the database management utilities? I have found the config.php and understand its relevance; and you are not ignorant, not by a  long shot [statement made earlier]. I feel I am,  for letting myself be rushed into this thing.

I have followed all the other instruction but was having problems with registering because at the time did not understand [as I do now, painfully] that "localhost" meant just that. I resolve the issues with Windows Server 2012 thanks to your help and now on the verge, I believe to getting this registered once I have changed the "localhost" database name to a name the school wants to use.

I also [painfully aware] the using of replace.php. Now is there a command line to run replace.php or the database management utilities or are they executed by just a double-click. How do I get to the database management utilities and run them?I really [really] appreciate your patience and all the others who have helped. Thanks so much.

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there - just popping in regarding your comment about getting your site registered with Moodle. I'm not technical so please accept my apologies if I have misunderstood  - I'll leave those details to Usman and Emma  -but when you talk about "getting registered" - it is useful to register your site with Moodle because you will be on our list for security updates and so on, and for sure you cannot use "local host" because that means your site is only on your own computer and not publicly available online. However, the main thing is to make sure your Moodle site is somehow being broadcast out onto the internet (or your organisation's network), and that is a separate thing from registering with Moodle. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Adamah Ruach -

no, I appreciate your response. any and all support is appreciated very much. what I need I am told is to find and use database maintenance utilizes; if you or someone in your group has the information please [please] let me know. again thanks so very much...

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Usman Asar -

Again bad on my part, as I assumed your familiarity with the IT terms, but dont worry.

when I said DB management utility, I was pointing towards the GUI interface that comes as a part (or developed separately) for database management, as your are on WAMP, then you must have had the PhpMyAdmin installed, that is DB management and administration utility, other options are MySQL WorkBench (as well FREE and works as standalone installed application), and HEIDI SQL (again a free option) and SQL Server Management Studio (in case if you are using Microsoft  SQL Server).

Have you not used PhpMyAdmin before? though you can manage database like MySQL through command line interface as well (Like DOS, Windows PowerShell), but PhpMyAdmin gives you the GUI Interface that makes things easy for you like creating databases, creating users, allocating roles and so many other things.

Regarding registering site with Moodle, simple you cant, until your site can be accessed from internet by using an IP address or preferably a domain name (URL).

Adding, Mary must have typed as I was typing, explaining the registration on Moodle, and I can't give any better explanation than she did, so basically same thing as I mentioned but in a very descriptive way.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Adamah Ruach -

I was given that installing would be a matter just that installing and then answering a few questions; then things are working. I just downloaded Moodle and started to learn it when forces outside with information that I see now was badly received and delivered.

I appreciate as I have said before your patience with me but [and there is always a but]; I am over my head mainly because the person pushing the buttons does not understand what is needed and required to make this work  I feel badly taking everyone's time and patience because this could have done a lot better on my part if the powers to be would just listen and stop rushing everything. I am not upset at Moodle or anyone involved; I was put in a position to fail and that is what has me concerned.

I am familiar with a lot what you are speaking of having worked with Oracle DB and Access; I really do not know how a lot of these interface with what I am trying to do and that is register and move on.

First, PhyMyAdmin for instance, was it downloaded when I installed Moodle? I was told by someone All I had to do to register was change config.php and the run replace.php. That did not happen, was to then use utilities which now turn out be something else. Maybe I should back off and turn to over to the person that gave it me as if it was installing Office 2013 and it is not. Again, forgive me I am just frustrated and LOST!!!! I have been on the site trying to read everything I can to resolve my problems but I am getting no where fast...

I understand what you are saying but that assumes that you feel I know how to do what you  are giving me...I DO NOT! I work across a few platforms but this is new to me and most are planned; this was not planned just dropped on me. I feel so badly, maybe I will just uninstall and start from scratch...thanks you efforts are gretly appreciated and you just do not know how much. ...thanks.

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Usman Asar -

Dont get frustrated, take time typing whatever you want to do (as so far I am myself getting confused in either you want to change the name of the database or you want to make changes within the database).

Rather, just type what you had done so far and what you want to do, as if I had unfortunately missed that part, then I can route you to good direction.

regarding replace command, like Emma mentioned (this may be confusing you), make sure you are logged into your Moodle as administrator, in your URL bar, just type this (assuming your moodle is running on this address http://localhost/moodle)

type

http://localhost/moodle/admin/tool/replace/index.php

that is about it, hit enter and you'll have Moodle's replace utility available before your eyes.

This should not confuse you, or should it?

In reply to Adamah Ruach

by Emma Richardson -

So you are not actually changing the name of the database (I think that might have confused Usman) and as such you do not actually need the database access utilities to get up and running.  However, installing Adminer or PHPMyAdmin will be of use down the road.

What you are trying to do right is change the url that is listed within your database.  You need to open up a webbrowser and go to "yourmoodleaddress"/admin/tool/replace/index.php.  Replace the first part with the url that you now use to access your moodle website.  The replace page, then put localhost for the old url and your new moodle address for the new url and run the utility.  That should fix all your images and links etc....