MOOCs: Certification, Completion and Measuring Success

by dawn alderson -
Number of replies: 8

fyi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to dawn alderson

Re: MOOCs: Certification, Completion and Measuring Success

by john Simpson -

OK, this forum is about teaching in moodle, but teaching online using an LMS will do fine.

For those teaching, especially those that are, or are planning to be online teachers; What current , or courses available in the near future would you recommend, and with what certificates do you think are worth collecting?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to john Simpson

by dawn alderson -

John,

Re: OK, this forum is about teaching in moodle: The title of the forum states Teaching with Moodle...as it happens my understanding of that means there are MOOCs that use Moodle for learning and teaching as opposed to getting inside something-I have heard before the term walled-garden....I am not sure this represents MOOCs that adopt Moodle as a platform for L&T because a lot of stuff across such MOOCs can be accessible on the web-for viewing....e.g. related videos, examples of MOOCs that use Moodle, follow.

1. The MOOCs co-ordinated by Dr. Nellie Deutsch with WIZIQ

2. I believe the OU run MOOCs with the use of Moodle/and FutureLearn

3. This is a MOOC platform (moodle.org)

4. The CPD Learn.Moodle MOOC co-ordinated by Moodle HQ use Moodle 

So, when you say: teaching online using an LMS will do fine...Not quite sure about this statement, sorry. I suppose we return back to the notion of LMS/CMS...and the word 'management' in relation to the validity of that and how MOOCs work, but I digress!

Your question:

For those teaching, especially those that are, or are planning to be online teachers; What current , or courses available in the near future would you recommend, and with what certificates do you think are worth collecting?

My response: in terms of a timely MOOC (Aug, 2015): Learn.Moodle, I think gaining badges for each element of completion-focusing on achievement for tasks/activities ....is great....and if there is an identified  need for certification, then a cert for two activities....three...and so on might be an idea (reflecting achievement/completion iterations ....and a separate cert for all badges collected= course completion.    

Does that answer your question?  Sorry, not sure if I am getting the gist here- completely, but trying to do so ;)  Can provide rationale for my thinking if need be.

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Hi Dawn,

I'd like to clarify things about using WizIQ in my Moodle MOOCs and Moodle MOOTs. I use WizIQ for the live online classes to complement the Moodle courses given on http://moodle4teachers.org and http://moodlemoot.integrating-technology.org

I plan to use WizIQ live classes within the Moodle courses in Moodle MOOC 7 in November 2015 and onwards. I totally agree that MOOCs that use Moodle have a place in this forum since they involve teaching in Moodle. However, cMOOCs as opposed to sMOOCs involve multiple learning platforms. 

In reply to john Simpson

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi John

I think it might be a while before any sort of meaningful certification becomes useful.  The rate of expansion in the industry and the changing patterns in learning (or rather, how people choose to learn) means that any potential course or certification process is unlikely to gain a critical mass to push it towards a more general acceptance.

For me, (as a small provider) the only thing that is worth collecting is returning customers and word of mouth propaganda.

Again in my case, I've spent several years introducing online elements to my customers with one very big BUT - I asked my customers what they wanted.  some changed quite quickly, some partially moved over to online, and almost all took some online elements on board.

By far the most time consuming element was the adaptation of materials (note, I didn't say "conversion.")  Converting the materials is easy, but maintaining the same effect in a completely different environment is altogether another issue.  To that end I spent far more time listening very carefully to my customers than I did worrying about certification.

It's like great wine - there is no definition for it, but most people have an opinion, and most of the opinions are different.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Andy Chaplin

by dawn alderson -

Hi

re: I think it might be a while before any sort of meaningful certification becomes useful.  The rate of expansion in the industry and the changing patterns in learning (or rather, how people choose to learn) means that any potential course or certification process is unlikely to gain a critical mass to push it towards a more general acceptance.

Sorry, rationale for my previous post now follows-I stupidly thought others would be able to mind-read! clown

OK.

Role play.

We have a MOOC, a CPD MOOC.  Thousands of participants.  It is based on learning about Moodle for newbies and those wishing to engage with a little knowledge, as well as those who are experts-because it is an Open course...anyone can enrol.

Participant 1: A primary teacher

Participant 2: A university Lecturer

Participant 3: An exceptional Dev-who knows his/her stuff!

Participant 4: An admin

Now, the providers of the course have a plan. They have a course structure.  That structure is set-up on the premise of giving the participant a taste of what Moodle has to offer-whilst participating with certain features/tools in Moodle.

There are oppts to achieve badges....there are  oppts to attain certs.

Why?

Well, it may be that the primary teacher wishes to learn a little bit about the quiz...so s/he completes that activity and gets a badge. S/he also recognises that the teacher in Year 6 knows how to make links with the gradebook, so decides to complete the gradebook activity too-another badge.  The rest of the course, well there is a staff training session soon and so s/he would like to engage with that and not finish the MOOC, because the items are going to be covered by colleagues with exemplars in the context of the school, so s/he dips-into the forums to ask questions while s/he applies knowledge in practice about the quiz/gradebook and fields questions during the staff training-oh and during the staff training s/he emails to staff attending training,  forwork-based learning-CPD, the copy of the cert that states completion of an iterative learning process that linked the quiz and the gradebook-the detail was inserted by her/him and signed by the teacher on the MOOC.

The Uni Lecturer oversees departmental development for integrating technology for L&T. In the MOOC, this participant wishes to dip in about peer-assessment, using the workshop.  Again, very keen to know a bit about gradebook.  So, completes those activities 1. the workshop activity, 2. Observing the video about the affordances of gradebook and completes the fun quiz about the video contents. This learner gets a cert, that s/he completes with reflective learning outcomes-and is signed off by the teacher of the MOOC.  The Uni lecturer, holds staff training to share knowledge from the expereince and makes a link to that valuable video too.

The exceptional Dev big grin well, this participant has made several posts across pertinent forums about platform requirements, theory, pedagogy and the value of MOOCs as well as helping out wherever possible.  This learner takes away a knowledge of how things are running, what might be, what is and undertakes further activity about the coding snippets/hints and tips on offer.  This learner also shares ideas with colleagues about poss innovation and creativity for the future.

The admin wishes to complete the course-no matter what.  S/he wishes to experience a MOOC for the first time, and wishes to know what it is all about, having heard about completion rates, the benefits of engaging with this mode for learning, because new initiatives are popping up at his/her Further Education college-especially in terms of blended learning with globalised agendas. This learner is interested in the stuff about connecting with others in MOOCs, and how that is done.  So, the badge for active engagement across forums is nice-certainly for networking.  The quiz, lesson, gradebook video, conditional activity feature, database activity, sandbox activity and so on, are all so new, but now the admin feels when s/he runs training for the 25 colleges in the hub s/he heads....s/he can draw on the experiences from completing the course as well as all the rich resources and communication due to engagement with the MOOC. 

The certificate, s/he has typed with reflective thoughts is signed off by the teacher of the MOOC-an endorsement of time spent and extended knowledge/skill-set, the learner is ready to demonstrate for others on a level of work-based learning....and due to the possibility of doing a grand job of disseminating such info- this is recognized during annual staff appraisal.

amen.  smile

D                 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi Dawn,

I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow how your scenario deals with the issue of acceptance of certification.  I do think though, that it highlights a couple of real problems with MOOCs.

Two, or maybe three, of your participants are not really suitable for this course.  They have considerable experience.  Yes, the course is open and is free for anyone to enrol, but as we know, with freedom comes responsibility.  One of the most intimidating things for a beginner is having an expert in the class.  I've seen this on several MOOCs focusing in programming where a large number of participants are doing the course just for fun.  For the most part, these people are extremely unhelpful in the forums because although they may be experts, they are not necessarily communicators or teachers.  This topic cropped up several times in the Moodle MOOC you are referring to.  Fortunately, because of the nature of Moodle, most of the more experienced participants could help in a meaningful way.  This is by no means the norm.

If only one aspect of a course (note the word, course) is of interest, then maybe a more focused training would be appropriate.

As for your point at the end regarding signing off a certificate provided by the student.  I wonder where you are going to get the time to do that with potentially thousands of participants?  Personally, I cannot imagine signing such a document.  The potential for damage to my reputation as a trainer is far too high.

All of which brings me back to my original point - that a certificate which isn't generally recognised isn't worth much, even to the recipient.  The challenge for the industry is to legitimise their results.

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by dawn alderson -

Hi Andy,

No, my error-I have not been clear, and as it happens you have prompted me to think more deeply about my last post, thank you.

Re: I don't quite follow how your scenario deals with the issue of acceptance of certification.

There are many issues, currently identified with regard to CPD MOOCs and the value of completion/the validity of a completion cert.  I suggested filling a gap by connecting participant engagement with certs that actually share what has been achieved, with perhaps a focus on iterative learning experiences (will return to that suggested process in a moment). 

Reason to support an iterative approach  is due to providing an opportunity for the participant to make links/connections across course material/activity/resources and so on=I call this active engagement.  So, learning about the quiz is one thing-great....I can say it affords this, it does that, I learned about it in the MOOC. But when linked with say, finding out about gradebook features, for my use of the quiz for learning, then this is an iterative process I am engaged with, one that I can easily see how it can apply in my practice, because I have learned about one feature in order to aid my teaching, and I can use another feature to track learning. (Do you see the connections I am making here?).

Re: Two, or maybe three, of your participants are not really suitable for this course.  They have considerable experience.  Yes, the course is open and is free for anyone to enrol.

I understand the point.  But there is a paradox in that statement: Some participants not  'suitable' for a MOOC....the Learn. Moodle MOOC, I think you are referring to...and the stance: An open course, free for anyone to enrol, Do you see the paradox  Andy? As such, I am not sure what message this reflects to potential participants.

I mean, how does one measure the following:

1. beginner

2. expert

It is also notable, in general, when people sign up for a MOOC they really have no idea about who else is going to participate, neither do the teachers...because? You guessed right: it is An open course, free for anyone to enrol.  I am drawing on logic here.

Now, I have come across MOOCs that specify starting points as requirements, e.g. a basic knowledge of Python is required or, an understanding of HTML is necessary, but I have never- in all my living days- come across the following unsubstantiated premise: If you know more than you should know-you shouldn't enrol on this MOOC, even though you can for free.   surprise

When you say:

One of the most intimidating things for a beginner is having an expert in the class. This topic cropped up several times in the Moodle MOOC you are referring to.  

Then this is down to ground control during the MOOC, in that moderators/teachers need to refer such experts-who are disruptive...to moodle.org (sorry, I am not laughing-just grinning-I realise there may appear to be a wrong-sounding message in that-but I hope you know what I mean, sorry!-not all the disruptive ones are here-only some! big grin ).  

We are getting into the realm of how long is a piece of string?-if we are even thinking of ways to measure what is not appropriate for a beginner course...this is context bound....and while some might complain about expert-speak....after events....nothing can be done about it really-because nobody knows the exact details....unless they do and it is too late to do anything...so blanket statements like.....experts can put beginners off...sounds vague and possibly an exclusion tool.  

Re: If only one aspect of a course (note the word, course) is of interest, then maybe a more focused training would be appropriate.

But, those engaging with the MOOC don't realise what is on offer until enrolment!

Re: As for your point at the end regarding signing off a certificate provided by the student.  I wonder where you are going to get the time to do that with potentially thousands of participants?  Personally, I cannot imagine signing such a document.  The potential for damage to my reputation as a trainer is far too high.

I wish to spell out my thinking more clearly here.  A tracked approach is what I have in mind. You are quite right, aiming for a manual approach is  impossible with over 9000 participants.  But, some sort of auto-cert, that summarises briefly what has been achieved (point form would do), and we know tracking can be done in Moodle, so if a cert is automatically sent out to the participant's email address, based on activity completion- that includes a box for participant's reflections based on what is on the cert, then this is a possible way for stakeholders (participant, teacher of the MOOC, employer) to share information. This adds value to engagement/achievement and the cert is valuable for three stakeholders.

Re: All of which brings me back to my original point - that a certificate which isn't generally recognised isn't worth much, even to the recipient.  The challenge for the industry is to legitimise their results.

The challenge might be overcome if employers considered the value of what is on the cert -as outlined above-in consideration of the employees CPD and engagement with a MOOC, in requiring the employee to demonstrate outcomes in the work place-according to what is on the cert.  

In reply to john Simpson

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

John,

I organize free online courses 3 times a year on how to teach in face-to-face, in blended (face-to-face and online), and in fully online programs using Moodle and other learning technologies in and out of the classroom on Moodle for Teachers Moodle website.  The courses offer badges and certificates.

I use Make Waves to design my Open Digital Badges for the the MOOCs and free Moodle for Teachers courses that I organize. I also generate certificates in all of my Moodle courses. Participants of my blended and fully online courses seem more motivated to get the badges for the section tasks in the Moodle courses than to get the certificate at the end of the course.