Re: Active participants (split from New to Moodle can it do?)

Re: Active participants (split from New to Moodle can it do?)

by Usman Asar -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Now that makes sense in terms of getting to know the attendees, then self enrollment option lead the path, and another conformation from Rick as I know Rick is managing his own VPS.

When logging into account, you get an instruction box/area beside log-in area where you can type in the new enrollment instructions, or even create a static page with images showing/telling how to take the course etc.

and one final thing to keep track of, as it will be open enrollment, keep eye on server resources, as per Moodle's recommendations, 20 active participants for every 1GB of RAM smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Usman Asar

Re: New to Moodle can it do?

by steve pelts -

Usman,

Your statement about "20 active participants for every 1GB of RAM" concerns me.  we are using a hosted server actually same as our webserver at the moment.  I am really in exploratory phase at the moment and testing.  But ultimately, hoping to have 1,000's sign up and take this course worldwide.   I certainly understand probably needing a dedicated hosting/server to do this.

but is the number 20 users per 1GB correct??  that seems kind of out of line in general but I don't know anything about Moodle

In reply to steve pelts

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes - but it's concurrent users (*doing something* at the same time). It is NOT people logged in and it is NOT accounts. Twenty concurrent users is actually quite a lot.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Following up on Howard's comment, I have a 2GB VPS that performs quite well.  At this point in time, I have around 100 students in my courses.  But I doubt that there is ever more than 3 or 4 doing something a the same time, which is probably why my server is fine.

A lot of this depends upon student activity.  Mine are normally taking quizzes or making posts. So when you hit 1000 student, maybe at most (I am guessing) 5% or less will be doing something at the same time, so (according to Usman), you might need 2GB-3GB of memory, and probably at least a VPS.

In my case, I spend more time on my own Moodle than any student.  So I am able to tell if my server is slow or seems less responsive.

(I am not a server guy, I am just sharing my own experiences with you.)

In reply to steve pelts

by Usman Asar -

Indeed it is correct, as Moodle bring to the table loads of features for a well built LMS and you can expect server requirements slightly more than usual CMS, but I have as well mentioned "Active Participants", means 20 people taking course on site at any given time and as well clicking  a link on a same instance (which is unusual unless there is quiz going on), whilst you can have 10,000 registered users without any issues.

it wont be an issue for sharing the Moodle with hosted site, just keep eye on the memory usage and if it feels like getting in 50%+ band all the time, then you can move your site to a VPS any time, for 1000 participants (assuming not all active same time) you'll be safe even with even a pro class shared hosting costing in range of $10-$30 depending upon service provider.

I mentioned this at early stage as I dont want you to get in hassle as when participants started building up, as when planning for a system ideally it should be future safe for at least 6 months ahead. btw, what configuration you are on your current site? is it on a shared host? just asking if I feel like that needs a change at early stage then I'll tell you before you open the site to public and knowing your configuration, Rick will be able to shed more light on that as he is managing a VPS with open enrollment and he will be able to tell how many users his server is serving  at any given time.

Even considering a worst case scenario, you still consider it safe as Moodle transfers over to new home in just 5 minutes.

In reply to steve pelts

by Usman Asar -

Though seeing your site's base on ngine-x and hosted on CyrusOne, you'll be safe wink