New theme - Flexibase

New theme - Flexibase

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 59
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I've just added the Flexibase theme to the plugins database (pending approval).

You can download the theme from https://github.com/roelmann/theme_flexibase but please take care to ensure you download the latest STABLE version as I will be continuing to develop on the MASTER branch.

Please use this thread for any discussions or comments about the theme - bugs and issues can also be posted on github.

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: New theme - Flexibase

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I heart this theme. Thanks for the update...I'm just about to add this via GIT to my MDL29-dev test server and take it for a spin. Will post feedback as an when...

Cheers

Mary

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Bad news Richard.

I have tried to install this in both 2.8 and 2.9 and both break Moodle big style. It just gives a blank page and you cannot even use theme change in url as in adding ?theme=clean

i'm just wondering if this has something to do with Theme Designer Mode as this was on at the time I added the Flexibase theme?

I'll try it without and let you know.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

hmm - ok. I'll try and do a fresh install and try to find whats happening as it works once installed.

Edit:

Just tried and installed fine on 2.8 (TDM on)

Mary, could you try a fresh pull from GitHub as I just sent some more changes (based on the code style checker etc) just inder an hour ago so maybe there was a bug that has been fixed without realising it was there.

by Mary Evans -

If only I could Richard, however the.problem is my computer won't start so its going through a Startup Repair Program.will let you know later.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

master commit https://github.com/roelmann/theme_flexibase/tree/cc7d56bec54e0bcfe316e9e5c3b63a050e4a8c39 works for me with TDM off on Moodle 2.8.5+ (Build: 20150319) using URL theme switching.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -

OK...

I cloned Flexibase into my WAMP server and found that there appears to be something wrong with the STABLE_1 branch. i'm now on my laptop and getting the same blank page. Switching back to Master branch, however, loads the plugins check page where previously STABLE_1 branch was giving me a blank page.

Richard can you please check this out?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

I've recreated STABLE_1 from Master and will resubmit the zip file to the plugins database as soon as I've done the fixes for PHPDocs later this morning.

Re: New theme - Flexibase: CSV File

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

What do the flexibasetree.csv and .~lock.flexibasetree.csv# files do?

I have never come across these in a Moodle theme before. Are they relevant to the theme or just a guide for teachers/admins?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

They are not relevant - they are a dumb oversight that I thought I had removed and must have crept back in.

Ah - I have removed them from my local version but must have forgotten to push it back up to github. D'Oh! sad(

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

Is Bootstrap3 LESS compatible with the LESS in Bootstrapbase? I only ask because Flexibase seems to lose all the CSS if Theme Designer Mode is OFF. More and my own themes that use the same extra less files work OK, just Flexibase seems to be contrary, so made me wonder if there is something to do with the LESS compiler?

We use 'recess' to create the minified LESS in Bootstrapbase. If I run the same method we use in Bootstrapbase to compile moodle.css...but change moodle.less to flexibase.less...like so

recess --compile flexibase.less > ../style/flexibase.css

I get an empty file which suggests something is wrong.

So I used 'lessc'  which compiled a full set of styles which I have used in Flexibase and it works a treat.

Which makes me think that using Bootstrapbase LESS compiler with Bootstrap3 themes is not the way to go?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Is this back to the issue identified here > https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=271448#p1171554 as I haven't had any problems with TDM on or off.

by Mary Evans -

I'm not really sure, it's just that it seems to be behaving badly, although when the correct CSS is added and the less configurations in config.php are disabled the theme looks and works beautifully.

It might, however, just be the fact I have so many similar themes, all clones of More theme, on the boil so I am perhaps creating a problem where none really exists...other than total overload!

Cheers

Mary

by Richard Oelmann -

FlexiBase has now hit the plugins database and v1.0.1 can be downloaded from there.

I've also updated the github repository name to match the moodle naming conventions (I'd missed the 'moodle-' bit off) so it is now:

https://github.com/roelmann/moodle-theme_flexibase

All constructive comments, suggestions for development, bug reports welcome smile

Richard

by shoaib latif -

Dear All,,

I have installed Flexibase theme in my setup and i am about install it in production setup.. is it stable for production ?

secondly. i want some customization in it, can i show slide bar in content bottom area ?

Can I remove one navigation bar ?

site name is displaying in main heading area but when i click on course link it starts displaying user name instead of site name..

can i display sitename on entire site in heading area ?

infact,, i deployed moodle in corporate environment, they are giving me tough time in configuring look and feel. i need you peoples help.

setup info

SQL server 2012

Moodle 2.9

PHP 5.6

regards

shoaib

In reply to shoaib latif

by Richard Oelmann -

I've been using flexibase on my Moodle2.9 for a while, so yes i am happy that its stable on there - with the proviso in the documents for the theme: it uses flexbox and if you have many users on older IE browsers then IE <10 does not fully support flexbox: http://caniuse.com/#feat=flexbox

1. slide bar - I presume you are referring to the carousel. in which case if you take a look at the frontpage.php layout file, you will see that the carousel is simply an include line (well, ok 3 lines if you 'include' the comments that bracket it). That means you can basically put it anywhere you want to, just by adding that <?php include('includes/carousel2.php');?> line where you want it to go. Bear in mind that the styling is for it to be full size towards the top of the front page, so you may want/need to adjust styling appropriate to where you want it to go.

2. navigation bar - both the navbars (the branding top bar and the custommenu bar) can be found in layout/includes/header.php so you can remove one of them from there, or combine the two nav bars into one by adding the custom menu into the top bar

3. site/page name is also controlled in the header.php file with the line         <?php echo $OUTPUT->page_heading(); ?>
So you could replace that with whatever you want displayed there in its place

4. configuring look and feel - given that the theme has both customcss and customless options - and with all the options in settings for layouts there shouldn't be much you can't do through the settings pages (although the points you have asked about are in fact issues that you would need to modify the layout files to achieve, rather than css/less options), but if you tell me what you are having a tough time with then I'm sure I can find solutions for you.

Richard

by shoaib latif -

Dear Richard,

Thanks for your reply..

kindly see attached snapshot for clear image what i am trying to achieve by customization..

i need to configure slidshow in content bottom area as i shown in attached pic,, can you please tell me how to do this,, i dont know programing,

regards

shoaib

Attachment look n feel.png
In reply to shoaib latif

by Richard Oelmann -

1. Site full name - in the layout/includes/header.php replace $SITE->shortname with $SITE->fullname in all locations.

To make it multilingual needs the actual site name field to accept the multilang filter and I'm not sure whether it does as I haven't tested that. The alternative would be to replace the $SITE-shortname with a short piece of code that detects the user language and then puts the appropriate text in place

2. 2 logos - for the first logo just use the normal logo setting, for the second one add some custom css

.moodleheader background: transparent url("path/to/your/image") no-repeat right top}

3. Moving the slideshow - in the frontpage.php layout file take the section that is commented for the slideshow, delete it from where it is and add it into the frontpage.php where you want the slideshow to appear - in your case thats probably just above the line that includes the footer.php.

4. The blocks are just blocks, they are not theme controlled, so you just add those as you need them, but if you want them left and right, then make sure you have selected that option from the layouts settings page.

by shoaib latif -

Dear Richard,

Thanks for you guidance in detail.

I am working on your suggestion and if i need further help. i will bother you again.

i tested multilingual site name.. code does not work with flexibase theme but it works with other themes like essential or campus..

below is the multilingual

<span lang="en" class="multilang">IT Security Awareness Training Portal</span> <span lang="ar" class="multilang">الوعي أمن المعلومات بوابة التدريب</span>

there are some more things are coming up and i need your help to customize them. i will share today after cob

regards

shoaib

by Daniel Sterchi -

Hi there

A great theme. I love it.

I just had an issue when updating bootstrap3 to the newest version then nothing goes anymore with Flexibase.

kind regards

Daniel (from Switzerland)

In reply to Daniel Sterchi

by Richard Oelmann -

It appears Bas' latest upgrade has completely broken flexibase - I don't know why at the moment but will investigate asap.

In the meantime, I would suggest continuing to use the previous version of Bas' bootstrap theme as a parent.

by Richard Oelmann -

Well, the theme is no longer pulling in any of the bootstrap theme less files at all - right now I have no idea why not and what has changed to affect this. In fact it looks as if its not pulling in any less files including its own.

OK - TEMPORARY solution:

In theme/readmes there is a file called base.txt - copy that into the style folder and rename as base.css (you will need to comment out or delete the 3 or 4 lines at the top that state the file is a reference on only.

Then use the attached theme config.php file - this disables the less compilation and so if you have any custom less in your settings they will no longer work. It also adds the above base.css file to the config.

The other TEMPORARY solution is to revert to Bas' previous version of theme_bootstrap as parent theme - again this is not ideal as I would like to ensure things work properly, but I'm not aware of any major issues caused in 2.9 by using the older version of theme_bootstrap.

Obviously I need to find out why the LESS files are not loading any more, but honestly that is going to take some time to relook at the theme given other commitments right now - if anyone has any suggestions I'd be more than happy to look at them!

by Richard Oelmann -

OK - narrowing it down

LESS is far more fragile than CSS - if there is any error in any file then the whole compilation ceases.

Because flexibase includes all theme_bootstrap's LESS files one at a time (due to wanting to override some of it) I have gone through the flexibase.less file to find the issue and it occurs only when bootstrap/less/moodle/zoom is included. This makes me suspect there is something up with that file in Bas' theme - but that is a suspicion only at this stage as I haven't yet check out that file or Bas' latest commits to it, its just that if I comment out that line of the @imports in flexibase.less, then the theme works again

About to have breakfast and head to work, but will continue to investigate as soon as I get chance

AHA - that would be because the bootstrap/less/moodle/zoom.less file no longer exists! No bug in theme_bootstrap, just no file and a fussy less compiler

Solution - comment it out in the flexibase.less file if using Bas' latest theme_bootstrap

//@import "../../bootstrap/less/moodle/zoom";

I don't currently want to remove it permanently from the file as that would change things for other versions, but I may have to create a separate version in the long term.

by Richard Oelmann -

Updated version (v1.1.1) now available on Plugins Database and on GitHub to match up with Bas' updated theme_boostrap.

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Great theme! I can finally put the "Latest News" block in the center column!

One question: the various control icons seem to be in image files, rather than using FontAwesome. This makes it difficult to change their colors easily (as far as I can see). Is there a reason the theme has to be defined this way? I used some CSS overrides with filter: hue-rotate() for now, but it would be nicer to have these icon colors based on the brand and other theme colors.

In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by Richard Oelmann -

Thanks Elizabeth, Glad you like the theme smile

Re the control icons - just not something I considered at the time I was working on the theme. I could look at it for the next version when I get chance - I know I have done it in another theme, although I seem to remember that it isn't possible for all of them (I think the hide/show and dock icons at least) as they are inserted by javascript.

R

by Elizabeth Dalton -

I suppose another option would be to provide a few more options of basic color for these icons, and allow the administrator to pick one. E.g. white, black, gray... the blue color is, ironically, close to but not in the same hue as the main blue color we use on our site, so it looks rather jarring without the hue-rotate modification (which seems to be hard to get right). Not that I would have wanted a default of hot pink. ;)

(Javascript can't insert FontAwesome icons?)

On another note, the new (in 2.8) Gradebook ability to make the top and left columns persistent while scrolling doesn't seem to work quite right in Flexibase. You'll need a course with 20 or so users and 10 or so graded items to be able to see the problem. Compare the scrolling to how it looks in More, and I think you'll see what I mean.

by Richard Oelmann -

Javascript and fontawesome icons: from memory (but it was a while ago I last looked at this) the JS makes the changes after the page is built and the css which applies the fontawesome icons is added. So, I think I would have to find a way to override the core JS (YUI) which is doing that.

As for the colours of those icons there at the moment - you could delete the theme pix-core/i folder and it would then default back to the core icons (pale grey neutral colour). Again to create a colour chooser would probably mean adjusting the output from the core JS/YUI.

That is likely to be a significant development that I probably wont get chance to do for a while, although I am conscious that I will need to spend a bit of time looking at a Moodle3.0 version, so it MAY get rolled in with that and if it is simple to do, I MAY be able to make a backport available for  previous versions at that point.

More straightforward and almost certain to be added to a Mdl3.0 version, and possibly backported to other versions, would be the font-awesome icons which are not added by YUI, such as the navigation tree, the edit menu and so forth.

I will though look at adding the non-JS icons as fontawesome ones 

Gradebook - Unfortunately I only have Mdl3dev on my laptop at the moment, so I'll have to take another look at 2.8 when I get chance, but I'm not seeing any issues between More and Flexibase there. Could you try changing the theme to bootstrap (Bas' theme that flexibase uses as a parent) and see what happens - I'm wondering if this is an issue that may have been fixed in the recent bootstrap theme upgrade. I'll try it out in work tomorrow where I have a 2.8 install on that PC.

by Elizabeth Dalton -

The Bootstrap theme displays the gradebook "Grader report" correctly, preserving the top and left cells while scrolling. And to be clear, I'm actually testing in Moodle 2.9.2+.

It's good to know that deleting that subdirectory will allow Flexipage to default back to the core light gray icons. I think if you just document that, or maybe provide a switch to let the user turn off the cyan icons and default to light gray, that would be helpful. (Not knowing that, I downloaded the icon set and ran an Adobe Illustrator action in batch on the icons to desaturate them.)

by Richard Oelmann -

Hmm - 2.9 is what I was looking at in work today and couldn't see any issues with the grader report, as far as I can see flexibase is preserving the top and left cells as expected in 2.9.+ (my work environment) and Mdl3, but I'll keep checking and see if I can replicate it

As for the icons - themes override core icons by adding a pix_core folder. If any images are removed from such folders in a theme, then Moodle will revert back to the core version. I will certainly try to document that (and be happy to listen to any other suggestions from yourself or any other users!) for the future as I'm sure not everyone who wants to change the icon colours would be familiar with theming and the theme code.

I've started looking at replacing the icons with fontawesome ones as far as possible, so hopefully I will release a version with that in the next few weeks - hopefully as a Moodle3.0 theme about the time Mdl3 is released.

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Flexibase alerts display to users with a close control, but although they disappear correctly when the user clicks the close control, they show up again if the user logs out and back in, and also whenever the user returns to the site front page or dashboard. Is this intentional? I realize it could be difficult to know if a user has already dismissed one of these alerts because there are three slots that get re-used, rather than a bunch of dated entries in a table (e.g. Site News), but this seems counter-intuitive to users.

by Richard Oelmann -

It's how the Bootstrap (not the theme, but the main twitter bootstrap) alerts work.

My own usage of them, I would want them to be persistent, but I can see a use for a 'yes I've seen it don't show me next time' kind of message - but that would be different from these alerts.

by Jesús Romero -

First to say I like very much this theme.

I have been looking for the option to change slider buttom and i didnt found it. How can i change it?

My exactly case... i made 4 categories and the slider shows same photos of them, when i push buttom i go to this category. Its fine done. But buttom says "Read more" and my desire is to change this text, and i dont know how to change it.

Can you help me?

In reply to Jesús Romero

by Richard Oelmann -
Hi Jesus,
At the moment there is no setting to change that language string per slide, just globally by editing the language customisation.
I will look at adding that setting for the next significant (non-bugfix) release, I have added it to github issues to look at as soon as I have chance.
In the meantime, you are able to add whatever plain text you want to the slide Caption setting to describe the slide and the link - I realise that's not exactly what you want, but it may be a work around until I can make this enhancement.

Richard

by Jesús Romero -

Hi again. I have other proposition to improve the theme.

In slider, below the button, there is points reffered to any photo in the slider. The coursor shows the hand like it would be a link, but if i make click, there it doesnt happen anything. It could be fine the slider could go to this point.

In reply to Jesús Romero

Flexibase: How to remove LAST MODIFIED

by Hamzah Yahya -

Please, can anyone tell me how to remove: LAST MODIFIED... line at the bottom of a page. I am using the Flexibase theme. Thanks

In reply to Hamzah Yahya

Re: Flexibase: How to remove LAST MODIFIED

by Richard Oelmann -

Firebug on a Page activity shows this is a div with class='modified'

so add the following to your custom css
.modified {display:none;}
HTH

by Владимир Кузнецов -

Здравствуйте. Скажите, почему при выборе полноэкранного окна или Safe Exam Browser не отображается время? Спасибо.

In reply to Владимир Кузнецов

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Здравствуйте ! У нас есть форум на русском языке: https://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=25

This  is the English speaking community. If you'd like to post in English, you are very welcome. If you prefer Russian, we have a Russian community here: https://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=25 

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

I am not sure why the timer is not working in Flexibase when in secure browser mode.

It is possible that it is a theme problem, I see you have tested this in Clean theme.

So please tell me which version of Moodle you are using and also the version of Flexibase?

Many thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Владимир Кузнецов -

Moodle 3.1.2+ , Moodle 3.1.3

FlexiBase v3.2.0d , FlexiBase v3.2.1b

Не работает ни где. Версии Moodle и FlexiBase комбинировал - не помогает... sad

Спасибо.

by Mary Evans -

I will test this out and try and find you a solution.

Я буду проверить это и посмотреть, смогу ли я найти решение для Вас.

спасибо

Mary

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Translation: It does not work any where. Versions of Moodle and FlexiBase combined - does not help.

A gentle reminder: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moderator_guidelines#Posting_in_Moodle_in_English_in_a_language_other_than_English.

by Richard Oelmann -

Does it work for you on a standard browser? ie not using SafeExam?

by Mary Evans -

Richard,

It is something to do with flexibase/layout/secure.php file.

It appears not to be compatible with the standards laid down for this type of security.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
I don't think that's the case Mary (the not being compatible bit, you are correct it is a fault in the secure.php layout). The only standards I am aware of are the ones you posted a few months ago and those are dealt with through the config.php

// The pagelayout used for safebrowser and securewindow.
    'secure' => array(
        'file' => 'secure.php',
        'regions' => array('side-pre'),
        'defaultregion' => 'side-pre',
        'options' => array('nofooter' => true, 'nonavbar' => true,
            'nocustommenu' => true, 'nologinlinks' => true,
            'nocourseheaderfooter' => true),
    ),

The bug is that I had omitted the footer include (as the secure layout isn't supposed to have a footer), but this was preventing some of the quiz functionality working - I presume something in the standard footer html triggers some javascript in the quiz module itself.

Solution:
In the flexibase/layout/secure.php add the footer line, below:
<div id="page" class="container-fluid">
    <?php
    require('includes/breadcrumb.php');
    require('includes/mainbody.php');
    require('includes/footer.php');

?>
</div>

I'll try and get that fix up onto github as soon as I can.

Richard

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

The secure layout should, where possible, mimic theme/clean/layout/secure.php in that there should be NO anchor tags whatsoever. If you look back in the history of that layout file in the Moodle github you will see that the company who make the SafeExam browser asked specifically that all links be REMOVED.

I found that these links are still visible in the Flexibase secure.php layout, although they do not go anywhere they are still present as <a href=" # "></a> tags. These were changed to <span></span> tags in Clean theme.

Since this latest BUG only happens in Flexibase theme, as Clean has been shown to work OK and so that also rules out the QUIZ timer code too. So the only other place that this BUG points to is the Flexibase secure.php file. If you can change the layout to mimic Clean theme's secure.php then you can prove one way or another if the layout is the cause.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

I've already proved the secure layout to be the cause of this particular reported issue - for the reason I posted above (the missing footer include - not originally included because the secure.php layout isn't supposed to have a footer anyway!)

The solution I posted is tested and working.

I will look at replacing the <a> tags with spans at some point as a separate improvement (bug-fix, if you prefer), but for now the reported issue is fixed and the timer displays and works.

Edit: changing the <a> tags to spans made no difference whatsoever without the footer, but put the footer back in and it works.

Github version now includes both the fix for the reported issue and the unrelated improvement to remove the link tags.

by Mary Evans -

I missed reading your previous post, Richard, so sorry if you took offence at my comments about the link tags? I was just going through the possibilities of errors in the mark-up that's all.

It's late and we are all tired.

Thanks for fixing that footer problem, that was kind of you.

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

No offence taken Mary, just clarifying for readers what the issue was rather than leaving the potential confusion.

Have also corrected the <a> to <span> tags now too

Richard

by Владимир Кузнецов -

"Does it work for you on a standard browser? ie not using SafeExam?"

да

yes 

by Richard Oelmann -

Владимир Кузнецов

If you pull the latest version from github, it will be fixed there - I'll try to add it to the main database later today or by the weekend at the latest.

Richard

by Владимир Кузнецов -

Спасибо !!!!!!

by Mary Evans -

Thank you for bringing this problem to our notice.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Владимир Кузнецов -

Здравствуйте. Еще один нюанс.

В теме FlexiBase на странице "Уведомления" не появляется кнопка "Проверить наличие уведомлений"

В теме Clean и других темах эта кнопка есть.

Attachment 3.JPG

by Gareth J Barnard -

Translation from Google:

Hello. Another nuance.

In the subject FlexiBase on the page "alert" is not there a button "Check for updates"

The topic Clean and other topics, this button is.

Please post in English smile - this is an English forum: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moderator_guidelines#Posting_in_Moodle_in_English_in_a_language_other_than_English

by Mary Evans -

Hi Gareth, we know this user...he has been helpful reporting bugs in Flexibase.

I guess he forgot to translate his question.

Anyway the pictures tell where the problem is and I guess Richard will answer, when he has time?

So in this instance I think we can dispense with the link to another forum?

Cheers

Mary

by Richard Oelmann -

Thanks for the report (and the translation Gareth). Apologies I was away over the weekend, so not able to respond earlier.

Just as a note: Flexibase is not being officially supported in Moodle3.2 (per the screenshot)- however, I have checked and the same issue exists for me in 3.1 as well, so I will be investigating and trying to fix. Not really sure what the issue is at the moment - I don't have anything that I'm aware of that alters this admin screen, and yet it doesn't appear to be a css issue, but one where the actual form that displays that button is not being created in the html.

Will investigate and provide a fix as soon as I can resolve it.

R

Average of ratings: Useful (1)