Installing Moodle on Windows 8.1/Laptop

Re: Installing Moodle on Windows 8.1/Laptop

by Usman Asar -
Number of replies: 18
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I gave a thought after typing my post that you may as well be running Skype (listen on port 80) and SQL Server reporting services does that too assuming you are Microsoft product lover like I am, but still thought of waiting for your reply to get confirmed.

You dont have to uninstall SQL Server, just go to SQL Server configuration manager, select SQL server services (on left side pane), double click SQL server reporting services and click STOP.

after that, switch to Services tab, and select start mode to Manual.

Other  than that, if you have Skype installed, let me know too, i'll pave you way to get rid of its issues too.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Ruben Madamba -

Hi Usman,

My laptop is down with a virus/malware so I'm using another laptop to install Moodle.  This other laptop does not have Microsoft SQL Server or Skype and the installation was running ok until after the Update Profile.  I don't know whether I should restart the install or continue where it ended which I don't know how to do.

Thanks,

Ruben

In reply to Ruben Madamba

by Usman Asar -

Ruben

by profile update means, you updated your profile in Moodle?

and also tell me, if you have copied over the stuff from older laptop to new one?

and finally, is it WAMP or WIMP you are running on this laptop?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Ruben Madamba -

One of the steps of the installation was to update profile. After I clicked the "Update Profile," the next screen was empty. 

I did not copy anything to the new laptop.  I downloaded the install files from the Moodle website. 

I downloaded the Windows install package and ran Start Moodle which starts Apache and MySQL.  So, I was running WAMP in the new laptop.

Ruben

by Usman Asar -

That looks weird moodle disappearing suddenly, have you tried accessing with some other browser? if your moodle was new, just for the sake of confirmation that every file got installed fine, do another installation deleting this one, and download the latest package.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Ruben Madamba -

Hi Usman,

I reinstalled the latest windows install package and the same thing happened... the installation seemed to have ended.  I'm attaching snapshots of the screens during the install in 2 parts.  The last screen was the Update Profile and then followed by a blank screen.

Thanks,

Ruben

by Ruben Madamba -

by Usman Asar -

Ruben, this usually happens when there is inconsistency in cache, all you have to do is, delete the "cache" folder from Moodledata, you'll find moodledata folder right beneath Moodle folder in SERVER folder. and within the moodledata folder you'll see cache folder, just delete it and try reloading the site. and in case if that didn't work, delete the "localcache" folder as well.

both folders will recreate themselves once you reload.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Ruben Madamba -

Usman, you're the man!  Per your advice, I deleted both cache folders for the site to reload successfully.  THANKS so much for your help!

Ruben

by Usman Asar -

Glad it worked for you, meanwhile you are using Windows based machines, have you considered trying the WIMP combo, as in IIS and MySQL?

Though I am using my production servers on LAMP stack, but came back to put myself into IIS again since last time I interacted thoroughly with IIS was back in era of Server 2003/IIS 6, now IIS 8.5 with Server 2012 R2 is available, I have seen drastic improvement over memory usage in Moodle (as I have just started testing on Windows based platforms rather Linux).

In reply to Usman Asar

by Ruben Madamba -

I'm still a newbie at Moodle and I'm going to stick with the standard setup for now while I'm learning.  I'm coming from a Microsoft background and very possibly end up going the WIMP way. Nice to know about memory improvements in IIS 8.5.  

Thanks again for all your help!  I'm sure this will not be my last.

Ruben 

by Usman Asar -

Another (may be helpful) link in case if you need to moodle testing on a live server, www.gnomio.com, they offer Moodle sites to be created for free with almost all the popular plug-ins and themes already intact.

by Bob Doty -

I also am new to Moodle and have been struggling with Windows install, your user forum has been an invaluable resource. Thank you for the great support. smile

In reply to Bob Doty

by Usman Asar -

Bob, what type of issue were you experiencing on Moodle installation on Windows? though it may have been solved for you, but just for the sake of my knowledge that what issues can come up with the Windows Installation so to assist anyone else, or even me smile

In reply to Usman Asar

by Aleli Miranda -

Need your help. I am trying to install moodle on my laptop.  My OS is Windows 8.  During installation it stops at  http://127.0.0.1/admin/index.php?sessionstarted=1&lang=en -  .  I tried to refresh it several times but its not really working. What should I do?  Thanks.

In reply to Aleli Miranda

by Usman Asar -

Aleli,

you just mentioned O/S, what about package? are you using IIS or WAMP or the windows installer package?

It takes a lot of time when writing to database, so at one point it does feels like nothing is happening specially when installed on a laptop as you can't expect the performance of a workstation/server class hardware from a normal use machines, so give some time.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Aleli Miranda -

Usman,

Im using the windows installer package, moodle 2.8.5.  I click on stopmoodle.exe and deleted the "cache" and "localcache" folder under moodledata.  

Im new in moodle and im trying to create a project using moodle. Thanks again.

by Aleli Miranda -

Hi! Im almost done with my project. I just have to add courses and some content.  How can I change the themes and the appearance of the page? Thanks.

by Usman Asar -

Aleli,

for changing the look of Moodle, you have to use themes.

themes can be found in plug-in section, link below

https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=3

With every theme, its mentioned the Moodle release, the theme is compatible with, as Moodle 2.8 is quite mature to support most of the themes that have released/revised in last 2 months, all you have to do is, download theme, and upload it to your Moodle > Theme folder, and then log-in as admin, and you'll see automated wizard running you through the theme installation.

once theme installation is successful, you can simply go to Administration>theme>theme selector and choose the recently installed theme.

while its been said, on windows installer package, the themes MAY not work, for everything to work as it should, ideally the moodle is installed on a live server.

while you want to test different plug-ins and themes, I would suggest making an account with gnomio.com (its of course free) and they will give you access to a free moodle installation with almost all the popular plug-ins and themes to play with.