Reuse courses

Reuse courses

by Luís Rocha Graça -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the best practice on reusing a course.

I've been working with Moodle for almost five years and every time I would need to start a new course I would backup the original course and restore it to a new course. I understand that there may be other alternatives. What are they, and I would like to know, in your opinion, what were the best practices regarding the reuse of a new course.

Many thanks

Luís

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luís Rocha Graça

Re: Reuse courses

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

We now have the upload course option which allows you to reference an existing course as a template.  That is definitely the easiest way to duplicate courses.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Luís Rocha Graça -

Thank you so much for your reply  Emma. Do you know any kind of best practices or checklist regarding reusing a course?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Not really.  I expect my teachers to go through their course at the beginning of the semester and adjust as necessary.  I work on the admin side and just provide them with the tools...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Pat McClanahan -

Hello Emma....I am pretty much a novice at this Moodle thing. You mentioned using the "upload" option to use and existing course as a template. What exactly do I upload? Do I need to do a backup of a course first, then simply upload the backup?

I have a course I would love to reuse...and this sounds like exactly what I need.

Thanks so much

Pat McClanahan

by Riady Santoso -
Hi Luis,

if the course doesn't depend on time and the content of the course doesn't change, then using topic based course may make the course re usability easier by grouping the user. By combining topic based course with conditional activity, you may be able to have the student complete certain task before unlocking the next task.

If the course rely on time (For example, activity or assessment must due for a certain date), then restoring the course may be the answer. 

regards,

Riady

Average of ratings: Useful (1)