Moodle jobs

Moodle jobs

by David Dunn -
Number of replies: 12

The Moodle jobs page is a great resource, but I was wondering if it was possible to post an "Available for work" message. Would that be acceptable?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Dunn

Re: Moodle jobs

by john Simpson -

It makes a lot of sense.If there is a jobs section, there should be for example a resume section. I'm surprised it has not already been done. It would probably increase site traffic immensely.

In reply to john Simpson

by David Dunn -

Nice to hear you agree, John.

Who would decide on such a feature? I think it should be formally accepted by moodle.org; I don't want to upset other community members by placing an "seeking new opportunities" where it is not deemed appropriate.

In reply to David Dunn

by john Simpson -

Good question. And I don't know, who do you ask? Is there a suggestion box somewhere? I suppose you can put it in the lounge for the time being.

In reply to john Simpson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just moving this thread to the Moodle Community sites forum as it is best situated there.

In reply to David Dunn

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This feature used to be available, at one point (many years ago), but was removed (as far as I understand it) as it clashed with the rules about only Moodle partners being allowed to advertise Moodle services.

In reply to Davo Smith

by john Simpson -

Wouldn't that also apply to the current jobs section seeking individual services.? Of course the new jobs wanted should be heavily moderated, and should only apply to individuals seeking work, and not companies selling services.

We should remind ourselves that moodle is open source, and the open source rules state no discrimination.

In reply to john Simpson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As Davo says, the Moodle jobs database originally enabled people to advertise jobs offered and wanted. However we removed the option to advertise jobs wanted, as the adverts invariably listed the person's areas of expertise which read the same as services offered.  I don't think it's possible to differentiate between an individual seeking work and a company selling services, since a company may comprise of an individual seeking freelance work.

Instead, anyone is welcome to add an 'Available for work' message on their profile page and list their areas of expertise / services offered there. They can demonstrate their expertise in the forums by answering questions, then people will look at their profile and notice that they are seeking work.

In reply to Helen Foster

by john Simpson -

I would like to hear if this is satisfactory to David Dunn. Your profile could be like a resume if filled in fully.

In reply to john Simpson

by David Dunn -

I understand the reasoning as described by Davo and Helen, and the suggestion of tweaking one's profile to show "available for work" is also reasonable; this is what I have done with my LinkedIn profile headline.

However, it means that the job provider does not have the same easy access to the information they need as the job seeker does via the Moodle Jobs listings. In this sense, it seems to be an artificially inefficient information exchange, which goes against the spirit of openness, as John says.

In my own case, it would be clear that my interest would not be to go against official Moodle partners -- I could not compete in terms of resources and range of services -- on the contrary, I could be an interesting recruit for a Moodle partner. The free/libre exchange of information thereby benefits all parties.

How does this sound?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Helen

Is Moodle HQ going through a financial cirsis? If so, please send a SOS call before the GAU happens! So far I didn't have that impression, but one never knows!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I am going to make a fool of myself now, I know - but Visvanath- can you tell me what GAU is? I googled it but didn't come up with anything that would fit the topic. (It's OK -you can all laugh at me clown )