RSS feed encodings for Asian languages

RSS feed encodings for Asian languages

by Steven Day -
Number of replies: 1
I love the RSS feed and would like to set up BBC-Chinese RSS for a class site. It's encoded as GB2312; is there any way to get characters to display properly, apart from manually changing encoding on user's browsers?

Thanks in advance.

Steven
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Day

Re: RSS feed encodings for Asian languages

by Timothy Takemoto -
I guess that the problem is that you are using a non chinese language - probably English - for the Moodle GUI and that is being used to set the encoding of the page.

In that situation - where I want content to be displayed correctly in other languages but the Moodle GUI to remain in English - following the example of en_eucjp, I have made a sort of dummy language pack called something like en_GB2312, that sets the encoding to GB2312 but otherwise contains nothing. When a language pack is empty, en (the english language pack) is used by default.

Please see this post for details of how to make the en_GB2312 language pack
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=34031&parent=158134

Basically, I think that you only need to create a folder
moodle/lang/en_GB2312
and inside it create a file called moodle.php with content

<?PHP // $Id$
      // moodle.php - created with Moodle 1.6 development (2005060201)

$string['thischarset'] = 'GB2312';
$string['thisdirection'] = 'ltr';
$string['thislanguage'] = 'English - GB2312;

?> 

If you then set the language of the course to en_GB2312 then the GUI should remain in English but the encoding should change to GB2312.

I hope that this works for you.

Also, when the UFT moodle arrives (and it is arriving very soon - demo versions) then there should be no problem displaying multiple, different languages on the same page.

Tim