Message - Sorry, while you edited this page someone else did already save a changed version.

Message - Sorry, while you edited this page someone else did already save a changed version.

by Mary Stobbe -
Number of replies: 8

When I try to Edit a WIKI page (in a Groups/No Groups WIKI - so everyone should have acces) I receive this Message - "Sorry, while you edited this page someone else did already save a changed version. Please go back to the previous screen and copy your changes to your computers clipboard to insert it again after you reload the edit screen."

What gives?  I can't make any changes and neither can my students. (I am running 1.5)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Stobbe

Re: Message - Sorry, while you edited this page someone else did already save a changed version.

by Rob Johnson -
Mary - Sometimes my students will get this message in a student wiki.  This is where they are the only one editing.  It happens when they save changes.  The message appears, but the wiki saves anyway.  It is annoying because students think they have lost their changes.

Rob
In reply to Rob Johnson

Re: Message - Sorry, while you edited this page someone else did already save a changed version.

by Mary Stobbe -
Rob, thanks for your response.  You're right - it occurs in a student wiki when they are the only one editing.  BUT when they go back in to edit after making the first changes, they are not able to edit the new changes only the original ones.
In reply to Mary Stobbe

by Paul Koch -
Mary, have you found any further info on this problem?  I am just getting started with wiki, and having the same problem.  I was hoping you found some further info you could pass along.
In reply to Mary Stobbe

by Andrew Munslow -
Hi Mary,

This is the problem I found when using teh wiki for the first time (student wiki too).
I though that it was the fact that the first person to save the edited page was overwriting or adding to the original page. Everyone else who was editing the page now has stale data and so the system says no you cannot overwrite the new page, get it again and re-edit.
This prompted me to ask in what why should I use it inthe classroom, assuming it's behaviour is as it should be, in posting http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=38811 inthe teaching strategies fourm.

What do other users think?

regards
Andy
In reply to Andrew Munslow

by john attwood -

Thank you guys for posting on this issue.

It has been very frustrating for me. I am running 1.53+ and having the exact same issue logged in as Admin. Additionally I tried putting the site in maintenance mode so I knew there was no one else trying to make changes (the course isn't even up yet anyway). Same frustrating message. Not only that but I cannot update anything it simply will not update. Actually I take that back it updated once or twice and I could see it in view mode but not in edit mode or vice versa.

I'm wondering if it is a permissions issue because sometimes it acts like it cannot write.

I'm going to explore it more because I really want to use the Wiki module for the course I'm teaching. I'm actually teaching a course on Moodle ! I'm pitching Moodle for a project where we are doing continuing education for groups of doctors all over Central Asia.

I wil continue to post. I know it's not working properly because on my developmental machine at home it works perfectly.

Sorry, while you edited this page someone else did already save a changed version. Please go back to the previous screen and copy your changes to your computers clipboard to insert it again after you reload the edit screen.

Nothing doing. It simply is not going to write my updated entry. I also tried deleting the camelcase link and starting all over. Same thing.

Ok next I deleted the original link to it off of my first page. When I tried to delete it. It still shows in view mode but in edit mode it's not there. I refresh and get the same thing. Something is squirrely with my database. I used PHPmyadmin to optimze my database.. it didn't help. 

Well ok it finally disappeared out of view mode. Maybe I'm getting a little impatient. I'm afraid to try it again. I'm trying to create a response area in wiki so the students can have a specific place to respond in the wiki.

John

In reply to john attwood

by hans gutbrod -

I'm having the same issue. I tried various ways to work around it, but so far without success. It really would be a shame if one doesn't get it to work. I'm trying to use it to set up a course for lecturers in the Caucasus.

Moreover, if I update the summary, it does show on the "Edit" page, but not on the others. Any ideas, anyone? I'm really casting about.

Hans

In reply to hans gutbrod

by Adolfo Salazar -

I ran into the same problem but at least in my case, I found a workaround:

Delete all the browser temporary files and then try to edit again the wiki page, you should be able to see the last version.

Regards,

Adolfo S.   

In reply to Adolfo Salazar

by hans gutbrod -

this solved the problem for me.

Thank you, very grateful for the advice.

Hans