Course in elementary statistics for psychology

Course in elementary statistics for psychology

by Tom Backer Johnsen -
Number of replies: 5
Pardon me if I am posting this in the wrong place, but I have to risk it. 

I have been looking at Moodle for some months, and have used in a very primitive manner in one short courses and like it very much.  Now, I am planning to use Moodle in a series of courses on statistics, data analysis, and methodology at the faculty of psychology at my university.  Therefore, I am trying to locate useful material on the net, especially in respect to sets of questions or item banks that might be useful.  Google is not very useful, at least not in respect to the search terms I have used so far.

The textbook I am using at the moment is Howitt & Cramer, "An Introduction to Statistics in Psychology", and it seems that the publisher does not have anything useful to contribute in this respect.

So: Does anybody have any useful suggestions or pointers?

Tom
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Backer Johnsen

Re: Course in elementary statistics for psychology

by Tabitha Parker (was Roder) -
Hi Tom

Might I suggest that you make use of your students to help with this as part of the learning process?

If you get students to come up with questions and answers for each other, perhaps in groups, it helps their understanding deepen, and it shows you strengths and weaknesses in your teaching program. Every semester / term you have a new group of students who can bring more questions and answers to the course.

I have found that by involving students in the development of their course they feel more positive about their experience because of their contributions.

You will also feel that your course is getting stronger as it is constantly improving and evolving with each semester. (Two heads are better than one... )

I hope this helps you and I wish you all the best. approve
Tabitha
In reply to Tabitha Parker (was Roder)

by Tom Backer Johnsen -
That certainly is a good idea, and I have actually thought about it. I would like to have a set of questions to start with though. Anyhow, thank you for the suggestion.

Tom
In reply to Tom Backer Johnsen

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Tom,

I ran across this site when I taught statistics years ago--it has lots of good ideas and example problems and questions:

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/%7Elane/rvls.html