remove links from sideblocks and first page

remove links from sideblocks and first page

by Martin Koops -
Number of replies: 2

Being confused about the whealth of info I found about theme adjustments I hope someone can give me a simple and clear hint...

For a Moodle site which is not primarily aiming at courses I would like to remove the links and headers like "my courses, all courses, and buttons like "find courses from the first page and the sideblocks.

On the Themes/HowTo I found the suggestion to use the devlopment plugin in Firefox. S I did and I learned that the blocks at teh bottom when a user just logs in are called:

class=coursesearchbox, class = single button. the id of the micdlle box is: id = middle_column 

This is good to know I suppose, but where can I make adjustments or remove these "classes" (if one is to remove any classes at all)

Is this done in the theme files or is this to be found somewhere in the content-files?

Can anyone please help me with some directions?

regards,

Martijn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Koops

Re: remove links from sideblocks and first page

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Martijn, you do not need to change the Moodle source code. Use two strategies: CSS and your own language pack.

To hide the buttons like "Find Courses..." add the following CSS property to your theme:

.block_course_list .footer {
  display:none
}

This hides the footer DIV of the course sideblock. Please make these changes in your own themes CSS file. You can create one like for example "standarddwhite" by copying the original and renaming it.

You could also remove the header by CSS but then you end up with the confusing situation that all sideblocks except this one have headers. The better way is to create language files of your own and change the phrases in your language files. Please read in the Forum "Languages" how to work with the language files.

You could in both cases change some original files but you will overwrite your changes with your next Moodle update. With your own theme and language files you are on the save side.

I hope I could lead you in the right direction
Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

Re: remove links from sideblocks and first page

by Martin Koops -
Man, am I gratefull! Thanks a 1000 times. This exactly what I was hoping for. Martijn