using cookies

using cookies

by John Taylor Johnston -
Number of replies: 6
I've been having a discussion with a programmer friend (of Hot Potatoes fame). I'm doing a bit of research, exploring the value of using cookies in Web-based teaching. I use them in this context:

http://www.CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca/languesmodernes/604-HAE_Grammar_Practice/

I track student progress and scores for three conditions:
1) the exercise has been consulted only;
2) the exercise has been started but not finished, here is the interim score;
3) the exercise is complete, here is the final score.

My friend disagrees, basically saying my argumentation is futile. Most people turn off cookies. He would think this is a default state of most browsers, or users. I disagree.

I bring this discussion here because 1) I need a snippet of code smile and 2) Moodle.org, being an solid example of Web-based teaching, cookies are important for the good functioning of Moodle.

What is your opinion of cookies and Web-based teaching? Here is a summary of my fellow:

We say cookies are no use to people who make Web-based teaching materials for general access over the Web, because users often turn cookies off. ... I don't particularly care why people turn off cookies (although I know enough about them to turn them off by default myself); my point is that for whatever reason, cookies can't be used, in general, for storing data related to Web-based exercises, because they're not reliable. ... If you're relying on cookies, the student might do a lot of work before she even discovers (if she ever does discover) that the data is being lost.

Do sooo many people turn off cookies? I personally believe they are only unreliable, to use his vocabulary, because people turn them off. I believe his stance joins the general parnoia over cookies. People who cannot see them, don't know how they work, don't see their value, worry over spyware/adware don't see the benefit of leaving them on.

That said, is there a way to detect with javascript that cookies are turned off, therefore document.write('please turn cookies on please!'); smile

John
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Taylor Johnston

Re: using cookies

by John Gone -
A few questions there but one thing's for sure. No cookies, no Moodling. No cookies, no login to access the specified course, no access, no lost data. For the paranoid, simply limit cookies to the current browsing session and only visit known, safe sites. When you're done with your lessons turn cookies off. Some sites contain content that may be harmful to your browsing experience and some software contains spyware/adware. Surf tastefully, download thoughtfully, install carefully and, generally, no problems. Cookies don't kill people, people kill people.

Re: using cookies (JavaScript snippet needed)

by John Taylor Johnston -
Anyone have a JS snippet I could use that would detect if cookies are not enabled?

by Les Kopari -

Doesn't php provide this already?

That is, with:

session.use_cookies

session.use_only_cookies

isn't the status available?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers