Bkp outside Moodle

Bkp outside Moodle

by Juan Duran -
Number of replies: 2

For several reasons we did a bkp using mysqldump so we got a full backup of the tables. Then we move to 1.5.2 and we start with problems when doing moodle's automatic backup ... so we though it may be mysqldump... does anyone have any idea if restoring table using mysqldump get things mess up?

Thanks

Juan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Juan Duran

Re: Bkp outside Moodle

by Pedro G. Acevedo -
Hey, Juan.

I would doubt the problem is mysqldump itself, though you could try running it with a few different switches to make sure the backup is cleaner than it would be otherwise, such as --compact. I don't think this should have any effect on Moodle's automatic backup.

Make sure you follow the upgrade instructions for Moodle. There may have been some changes made to the table structures between your previous version and 1.5.2, and maybe that's throwing off the backup process.

Your post is a little vague. What previous version of Moodle were you running? What specific problems are you having, and with what error messages? I'm not sure I can help, but it may make it easier for others here to help if you provide that information.

Pedro
In reply to Pedro G. Acevedo

Re: Bkp outside Moodle

by John Ryan -
Juan,

My standard backup technique is to use mysqldump to create a backup of the database

I have often used this to move Moodle to different servers for testing purposes and I also keep a backup server running and use the sql file produced by mysqldump to update this.

This has always worked fine for me, even when I have used a newer version of moodle on the target system to the one that the file was dumped from.  In this instance moodle just treats this as a standard upgrade and makes the appropriate changes to the database automatically.

I think your problem may lay elsewhere than the mysqldump, though I agree with Pedro, that you should check the switches used with mysqladmin to ensure that it backs up correctly.