Hide student names in Quiz Results Block

Hide student names in Quiz Results Block

by James Robertson -
Number of replies: 9

I am sure I asked some while ago if it was possible to configure a quiz results block so that student names don't show, but I can't find it.  Anyway, here is a simple revision that allows toggling between student ID# (order registered) and student name.  The student userid does not link to anything, but it could just as well say "Anonymous" or "Guess Who" or anything else (see blocks/quiz_results/block_quiz_results.php).  It is defaulted to use ID so you don't get names unexpectedly. 

Could someone "higher up" please check this and add a finalized version to CVS if it seems like a desirable feature?  Note that after unzipping you have to copy the lang/en/block_quiz_results.php to the corresponding moodle location.

Thanks,

Jim.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Robertson

Re: Hide student names in Quiz Results Block

by John Papaioannou -
Interesting idea! What is the reasoning behind it though? Do you find it useful for the results to be visible anonymously, or do you simply not want the students to have access to this information?

In reply to John Papaioannou

by James Robertson -

Most students want to see what the range of test scores is (they ask in class), but displaying them online with names raises enough privacy issues that we simply can't use the block without an anonymous option.  One of our teachers asked me for the option so we can use it.  I was a little surprised this wasn't already implemented, since privacy issues/laws seem almost omnipresent and I believe not displaying names with test results has been policy at both local universities for several years.

Since this request apparently comes as a surprise to the Moodle community, if it (or something similar) is to be added to standard Moodle I guess it should default to Use Names?

Incidentally, I don't know who to thank, but I really like having the block_quiz_results capability on the quiz info page.

Jim.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

by John Papaioannou -
OK then, this sounds like a useful feature generally so I 'll take some time to review the code and get it into the main distribution. Thank you for the effort.

The capability to show the block was asked for by the people who funded block_quiz_results, although I 'm not sure who they were (Martin knows). It's them you should thank. wink

by Ray Lawrence -
Most students want to see what the range of test scores is (they ask in class), but displaying them online with names raises enough privacy issues that we simply can't use the block without an anonymous option

Jim, agree with this entirely. Deeighted to see in the following post that Jon has put this on his (long) list of things to look at.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Zaynab DElia -
This is really embarrassing, but better to ask and bear the shame. . .I need to unsubscribe to this great forum for now.  I click on the unsubscribe link that comes at the bottom of the email and it takes me to a big list of forums all of which say "NO" under the subscribed column.  So I can't figure out what to do.  If someone can  help me unsubscribe here, I would be grateful shy
In reply to Zaynab DElia

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Clicking on the unsubscribe link will automatically unsubscribe you from that forum, then redirect you to the main forums page.  So, if you looked at the Blocks forum, and saw No in the subscribe column, you were unsubscribed.  Of course, now that you posted again, you are probably subscribed again, so...try it again.

IMPLEMENTED: Hide student names in Quiz Results Block

by John Papaioannou -
OK, a feature based on this idea is now in CVS. It allows named results (as before), display of just the idnumber from the profile (not the userid, this is a dead giveaway since you can just browse the user list and associate a user with it by observing the URLs) or a completely anonymous display.

All this in 1.6 development. I won't port it back to 1.5.x mainly because the new strings will not be available to people who get a new version of the block without upgrading their language pack and thus won't look good. I hope that's OK?

Cheers!