RSS Block

RSS Block

by Mark Little -
Number of replies: 21
Anybody developed RSS Block that Staff can use in their courses which works in 1.5 and lets staff add their own RSS?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Little

Re: RSS Block

by Daryl Hawes -
The built in rss client block can allow a teacher of a course to add new feeds and then configure a block in their course with that feed. Am I misunderstanding the question perhaps?
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Art Lader -
As site admin, this works fine for us (1.5.2). But teachers get an error indicating that guests are not allowed to post when they try to add RSS feeds to their courses. Odd.

Is this a known bug? Or something we are doing wrong?

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
duh

Attachment rss-settings.png
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Art Lader -
Daryl,

I made the change you suggested in your message and this was the result I talked about in my reply:
Attachment rss-result.png
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
But maybe I made the update incorrectly. (attached)

Thank you so much for looking at this!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Daryl Hawes -
You made the correct changes. That was output I was looking for. Thanks to you for being a great tester and getting me the details I need to figure things out.

I have put some new files for you to test in CVS HEAD. Please download these files (just these files) and put them on your test server to see if they help. The file paths and version as listed below:
cvs:/moodle/lib/rsslib.php v 1.17
cvs:/moodle/blocks/rss_client/block_rss_client_action.php v 1.32
cvs:/moodle/blocks/rss_client/config_instance.html v 1.18

Thanks for your help!
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Art Lader -
Hi, Daryl,

I think there may be a delay involved in posting updates to the CVS. I am not yet seeing versions 1.17, 1.32 and 1.18.

I will check back in a little while, though.

Thanks!!!

-- Art
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Daryl Hawes -
Latest code now in cvs for moodle 1.6dev (moodle HEAD).
It's tested on Art's site and looks correct.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Tim Allen -
Would it be safe to use this in a 1.5 installation Daryl? 

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Daryl Hawes -
Absolutely - just grab the rsslib.php file and the rss_client folder and replace (keeping a copy of the originals for safety of course).
Once I hear some reports of success and get over my fear of cvs tagging I will roll this back to the 1.5.2+ release.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Tim Allen -
Thanks a lot Daryl, this is working well on my 1.5.2 Moodle.  Your work is much appreciated!  approve
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Daryl, I've just merged this to 1.5.2+ myself.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Barron Koralesky -

I am seeing the bug described above.  So, can I replace my rsslib.php file and the rss_client folder with those from the current 1.5.2+ build?

In reply to Barron Koralesky

by Tim Allen -
I had a quick check and it looks like the bugfixes have gone in to 1.5.2+ so this should work... Why not try it and see what happens?  wink
In reply to Tim Allen

by Barron Koralesky -

I updated my copies of the RSS files from the daily builds and RSS functionality seems to be working now.

Thanks!