Wanted: Draft Site Policy Agreement

Wanted: Draft Site Policy Agreement

by Dmitri Volkov -
Number of replies: 5
I am not that experienced to start writing Site Policy from scratch. If you don't mind sharing your site policy with others, please send it to moodle@moodle.pri.ee

Your help is appreciated!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dmitri Volkov

Re: Wanted: Draft Site Policy Agreement

by Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz -

Hi Dimitri

Site policies are very much an individual thing and I suggest you have a look at some web sites similar to yours. You can also look at the one on my site http://www.automotive-academy.com/ (you find it in the footer). You are most welcome to model yours on that.

In reply to Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz

by N Hansen -
Here's something I have on my site-do feel free to model yours on mine too. Mine is modelled on those of others itself. I have modified it several times since I launched my site when I realized there were issues that I didn't cover that I should cover.
In reply to Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz

by Dan Hilke -

Lori,

I hope your invitaion to model after your Site Policy Agreement was for the public... I just came to the forum to look for a template, and found your post.

I've used yours to make mine, at www.electricalcodeclasses.com

Thank you very much,
Dan

BTW - your site looks great! 

In reply to Dan Hilke

by Carl Keil -
I almost commented on this when this policy first surfaced, but I let it go. That site policy does look great, and it seems very comprehensive. I take issue with this section though...

"Links from other Sites to this Site

Other sites may only link to the site with Electrical Code Classes' prior written permission. Any site that links to the site:

• Must link to the ECC home page
  • Must not replicate the site's content.
  • Must not create a browser or border environment around the site's content
  • Must not imply any endorsement by ECC
  • Must not misrepresent its relationship with ECC
  • Must not present false information about ECC's products
  • Must not use ECC's name or logos without ECC's prior written permission.
"
I really feel like these non-deep linking/prior approval parts of policies like these contradict the most fundamental quality of the world wide web , they are unenforceable and possibly not on sound legal footing. Did you run this by an IP lawyer? (I ask this because I am honestly curious about whether any legal precedents have been set about this. I haven't been able to find any in my research.)

The last 6 bullet points look great and very reasonable it's just the first bullet and the preamble that I take issue with. Just think about it, If every link on the web went to a site's home page, it would make surfing the web very frustrating and unproductive.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

ck
In reply to Carl Keil

by Steve Hyndman -

I had the exact same thought, but refrained from commenting smile

I think the policy is very good, but the part about linking is completely unenforceable and there is no legal precedent for it. Basically, if you put it on the web where it can be linked to, then no one needs permission to simply link to it...otherwise Google would be in big trouble and completely out of business.

This type prior approval is like saying, "I'm going to walk down the street, but no one can look at me without my prior approval and then they can only look at me from the shoulders up" smile

On the other hand, there is no law preventing anyone from putting that statement in their Site Policy Agreement...free speech is a wonderful thing smile

No ill-will intended here...just some honest, well intended feedback.

PS...please forgive the misspellings...still no spell-check here is seems.

UPDATE: Okay...I just couldn't stand it...I pasted this in Word so I could spell-check it sad

Steve