system requirements for using moodle smoothly

system requirements for using moodle smoothly

by Zaynab DElia -
Number of replies: 3

Hi friends: I am still trying to figure out why  our hosted moodle site moves more slowly than this moodle site, and than every other site I  use.

The "computer hope" people, where I take my computer headaches suggested that I change from Explorer to Firefox.  that has helped make our hosted site usable--at least it doesn't hang my computer and "fail to respond".  But there is still there this unexplainable difference in speed.  The computer hope people asked me, "What are the system requirements for using moodle," and i said, "Duh. . . "  I am using it as a teacher to develop course content.  So how much of whatever should I have to make it run smoothly in the first place?"  Thanks again.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zaynab DElia

Re: system requirements for using moodle smoothly

by Paul Giauque -

I have exactly the same question.  I wonder how many others have the same question.  It's not at all good, when I've got 25 students watching, to have to sit and wait for 15 seconds for my Moodle site to "come up."   This ought to be a high priority to address. 

One other thing:   I noticed that when I sent this reply in, that I had 30 minutes to edit or change this posting before it became (becomes) permanent.  But in my version of Moodle, I have only 5 minutes.   I would like to have about 15 minutes.   I would imagine I should look in "Settings,"  but so far I can't find it.  Help!

In reply to Paul Giauque

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Paul,

To change the maximum editing time for forum posts, please check the miscellaneous section in Administration >> Configuration >> Variables.
In reply to Paul Giauque

by Michael Penney -
There are two different issues here. First, Moodle runs on the server, not on your machine. Moodle delivers content to your web browser from the server. In most cases if Moodle is running slow, it is because folks are trying to run it from a bargain price hosting company that has 100s of other sites on the same server (that is how folks who give you 1GB for $9.99/month make money).

This is often a bad idea for any sort of production site. Remember, Moodle is a course management system, it compares to WebCT and Blackboard, which cost thousands of dollars per year just to use, and they are generally set up on their own server, with very high requirements. Blackboard doesn't even let you run any other application on the server it runs on.

While you can run few classes off of a low cost hosted site, you have to shop carefully to find a hosting company that knows what they are doing, many will sell you the space and install Moodle, but they won't give you enough processing power and RAM on the server to run Moodle properly. Nicole Hansen posted some information here about her hosting company, which I gather runs fine for her uses and even sends some $ back to Moodle, so you might want to look into changing hosting companies to one that will give you the right set up on the server to run Moodle properly. More http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=29285 (I'm looking for an external company for a small Moodle side project, so I'm defintly going to give these folks a trysmile--thanks for mentioning them Nicole!

For large scale installations, with thousands of users, I recommend a dedicated server with at least 3Ghz processor and 2GB of RAM, more processors, more RAM, a separate database server, a cluster are a good idea as you run into the upper thousands of users and into the 10s of thousands.

The system requirements on the client (the users) side are modest, you just need a modern browser and a system that can run it. Probably you'll want 200+Mhz if you are running Windows or MacOS (and if you are running MacOS 9, you have to run Mozilla 1.3.1 unless you know how to fix your theme). But if you can load a complicated site like say slashdot.org on your computer without it taking to long, then the problem is almost certainly with your hosting company (though see below about possibly overloaded home pages).

If you have a good server and Moodle is slow, the second issue is that if you have an overloaded home page, of course this can slow things down as the server has to deliver the content from the home page to your users web browser. I've seen some Moodle home pages with several megabytes worth of pictures, flash, etc. on the home page, which will definitely slow the site down, especially for modem users. Moodle makes it very easy to post lots of content, but it doesn't optimize the pictures, audio, etc. So that is another thing to check.

But most of the time the problem is with a cheap or poorly run hosting company.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)