upgrade to 1.5.2 and custom theme doesn't work

upgrade to 1.5.2 and custom theme doesn't work

by Jeff Wood -
Number of replies: 6
I just upgraded to 1.5.2 from 1.5.1 and my custom theme (changed formal white) doesn't work (worked fine with 1.5.1).

All the colours are gone sad but the original formal white (and other themes) seems fine.

Any ideas?

Jeff
Attachment nccsite.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Wood

Re: upgrade to 1.5.2 and custom theme doesn't work

by L. Vandijck -
Before upgradingg, did you make certain you had a copy somewhere of the formal white theme as you customised it? Because when upgrading the original theme is of course restored, or copied back if you like, so all files are replaced again by the original ones. So after that you have to overwrite it again with your altered version.
Best way to adapt an existing theme is therefore to make a copy of it first, which you rename then (e.f. mytheme), and select as theme (in configuration). Then you apply all changes to this newly created copy. And of course store a copy of the customised theme someplace other than in your themes folder. That way your alterations are not overwitten when upgrading, and you have a backup copy anyway to put back in case something goes wrong.
In reply to L. Vandijck

by Jeff Wood -
When I modified the theme I actually gave it a different name so it wouldn't be replaced.

I even deleted the theme and uploaded it again and no luck.

The problem also occurred when I upgraded my test site to 1.6.

Tnx for the ideas.

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Jeff,

you can read about the work with themes in the Themes Documentation in the Wiki. You can read there how to build your own theme based on a standard theme.

I wish you much success
Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Pat Parslow -
Ah, I wonder if this is the same problem as I am having - (which I posted separately not having seen this post *doh*) in which I appear not to be able to change colours in the theme...  I think I have followed the guidelines correctly for changing it.
In reply to Pat Parslow

by Jeff Wood -
Hi Pat,

I managed to change the colours, no problem (I just needed to clear the browser cache to show the new colours).

All I did was take a theme I liked and replaced the colours in the fw_color.css to make it look the way I want.

I would try the clearing of cache, history and cookies for good measure.

Jeff
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Jeff Wood -
Hi Urs,

Tnx.. I'll zip over for a look.

Jeff