One SCORM package multiple courses?

One SCORM package multiple courses?

by Tony Chilvers -
Number of replies: 13

Hi,

We have a site which will be accessed by users who will belong to different areas of our business.

One requirement is that each business area has its own Course/section of the site.

This is easy to set up, but we have various compliance modules (SCORM packages) that everyone will have to take, but the business areas do not want their users to have to navigate into another course for them.

If I use the same SCORM package in seperate courses can they be linked so that an update to the original will update all of the others?

TC

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony Chilvers

Re: One SCORM package multiple courses?

by Andre Paz Leal -
Hi Tony, let me see if I understand you want to use the same package for all the categories.

You must create a repository where the folder from the course will be uploaded, and use the manifest from there.

And in the course options always set the auto-update as "Every time it´s used";

Rate me as useful.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andre Paz Leal

by Sam Stevens -

Not quite a hijack as it is related.

Does the feature you are mentioning Andre not work with zips?

We have a similar situation and I tried using this setting but found they never updated. i.e. I changed the zip in the repository but when I launched it the older version was open.

Purged caches and tried a number of different ways but it never worked. 

The only thing I didn't think of was having extracted zips on rather than zips. Does that make a difference?

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Andre Paz Leal -

Sam I only use extracted paths, because it´s easier for me to make some modification inside the files, like, css, js, etc. 

But I wouldn't use zip format even if I have the choice, I don´t know about you, but if I have the opportunity to extract the content instead of the server why wouldn´t I?

by Sam Stevens -
Well I've just remembered why I went with zips rather than extracts. Everything I tried with imsmanifest links always gave file not found errors when loading the module.

I've got a file system repository with  relative files set up but I could never get it to work. Didn't get to the bottom of it either.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Tony Chilvers -

Hmm,

What I was hoping to do was to be able to link to an existing SCORM package in several locations.

TC

In reply to Tony Chilvers

by Andre Paz Leal -

Tony I answer exactly. Have you tried to use the repository?

by Tony Chilvers -

Sorry for the delay in responding,

I cannot use the repository suggestion as I do not have direct access to the server to create the folder outside of the website.

TC

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Peter Bowen -

From the zip perspective, this may be of use

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-44548

It is still in progress, but I have implemented on my system and works a treat the following from Andea Cruz Mendes:

Dan, I think the problem is the "contenthash" of the files.
The FileStorage gets the old file's content (and extracts it) because the new contenthash is still the same.
It needs to be synced.

I'm using the filesystem repository to storage the scorm packages.
Then, I make some changes in two php files:

• repository/filesystem/lib.php
    • because the function "sync_reference()" was syncing just image files;
  • mod/scorm/locallib.php
    • before "$packagefile->import_external_file_contents();" need to call "$packagefile->sync_external_file();"
    • and remove the conditions like "$scorm->scormtype != SCORM_TYPE_LOCAL" to call scorm_parse($scorm, false);

It works for me (I'm using Moodle 2.7).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Peter

by Farhan Karmali -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I have a similar requirement, where I have to use one SCORM package across multiple courses. I have an  additional challenge that the new course has to be created using webservices and it has to import from an "old" course that has this SCORM package.

The "old" course has the scorm module uploaded using file system repository.  I have 2 issues now

When I import the course , the scorm file is duplicated in the new course, which I dont want, I just wanted it to point to the old file

If I take a manual backup, delete files folder from the mbz and then restore the backup. The scorm file doesnt work. !! someone please help me out. Will this patch https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-44548 do the trick for me?

In reply to Farhan Karmali

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Have you tried linking to the scorm imsmanifest.xml file instead of uploading the scorm package into Moodle. That way you can re-use the scorm package across multiple courses and it will prevent the duplication you mentioned.

1. Create a file respository.
  2. Upload the scorm package into a folder in that repository.
  3. Add a scorm activity to your courses where you want to use that scorm package.
  4. Select External Scorm Manifest as the Type in the General settings of the activity.
  5. Use the web url to link to the imsmanifest.xml file, http://yourschool.com/your_repository_name/yourcourse_folder_in_the_repository/imsmanifest.xml
  6. Repeat the above in all the other courses that you want to use that same scorm package in.

I don't know if this will meet your "new course has to be created using webservices" requirement, but without more info about that web service it's hard to suggest anything.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

And the beauty of this method is that when you update the scorm package in that repository all the courses where you link to that package will automagically pick up the new scorm package.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Robert Fenwick -

Hi Luis,

I followed your steps and they worked perfectly.  My only problem is that I can't work out how to secure that folder so that it is not visible to anyone who discovers the URL while at the same time being accessible to Moodle.  Any hints?

Thanks

Rob Fenwick

In reply to Farhan Karmali

by Robert Fenwick -

My preferred solution is to see the release of MDL-44548 but no amount of scrounging through the issue itself, roadmaps or releases seems to inform me as to when I might see it in production - it doesn't look to me like it has made 2.9?  

How would I find out?

Rob