I'm new to the Book module, need some advice.

I'm new to the Book module, need some advice.

by Marcus 7241 -
Number of replies: 2

I've recently uploaded some content from a Word doc into Moodle in a Book format/layout. The content is quite long and at present a user will have to scroll all the way down the page to read one chapter. How should I break up the content so users can avoid the "scroll of death" I know you can have sub-chapters but if you have lots of content how do you create a number of pages tied to one chapter of content?

I've attached an image of the content and as you can see I've had to scroll to the bottom on the page which isn't good design. 

Attachment Screenshot_1.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcus 7241

Re: I'm new to the Book module, need some advice.

by Derek Chirnside -

This is just a really quick note Marcus, only asking about one thing.

Who says all scrolling is bad?  If you are reading, then is it a problem to scroll down?

The Scroll of Death typically in Moodle is scrolling to find what you want, constantly, often because the position of the navigation and it's structure is not optimal, or the functionality is not being used (like single section layouts) etc.

For example, in this page,  we have nice Menus at the top, but generally, to get to ANY admin function, we need to scroll.  Unless you click to close other menus, in which case you then loose that navigation they provide.  This is the scroll of death.  Scroll is OK in other respects

Here is a comment from the wonderful people at 'Adapt':

Innovations in design

Adapt isn't just a fresh take on an e-learning framework, it also offers an innovative approach to design and course navigation and incorporates, what we think, are several exciting developments:

• Components instead of templates - pages are constructed by combining a wide range of interactive components in any number and mix required.
  • Removing unnecessary navigation - It makes sense to keep all related content together and to only navigate somewhere new when the content demands it, not when the designer has run out of room on the screen. To make this possible we've implemented a scrolling page layout which leverages much of the latest thinking in web design into the world of e-learning. For example, previous 'sacred cows' of web design such as no content 'below the fold' are now being challenged as we now design for a more web-savvy audience.
  • Preferences - Not sold on scrolling page layouts? No problem, more traditional linear layouts are just as easy to implement.

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/page/view.php?id=20 

I'm not actually sure why you say "I've had to scroll to the bottom of the page . . ."

-Derek

In reply to Marcus 7241

Re: I'm new to the Book module, need some advice.

by Paula Clough -

Marcus,

To add new sub chapter:

• After the first chapter is created, make sure editing is on and click on the plus after the Chapter title in the Table of contents to get the add new chapter.
TOC of Book
  • Click in the check box next to Subchapter right under the title window for the new chapter.  book creation/edit page
  • Add the information in the Content window.
  • Save this new chapter.  This will create a subchapter that will be connected to the previous chapter.  
    • HINT: if you need to create several subchapters under the same chapter, you can click on the plus on the previous subchapter. This will bring up the book chapter creation/edit page with the subchapter already checked, so you don't have to remember each time.

If you forgot to check the subchapter box:

• Just move this chapter right under the chapter which will be the parent chapter
  • Click on the edit symbol next to the chapter you want to become the subchapter.
  • When the chapter edit page comes up, check the box next to the subchapter and save. This should put it under the parent chapter as a subchapter. 

There are only these two levels to the book module.  You cannot have subchapters of subchapters.  

Here is more info, including importing chapters from HTML files that might help you if you have a lot of books to create.

Hope this helps.

cool