Introducing Moodle Mobile 2

Introducing Moodle Mobile 2

by Juan Leyva -
Number of replies: 21
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

We are excited to introduce this demo of Moodle Mobile 2. This demonstrates the updated look and feel of the incoming second version of the application. At this stage, the launch is set for June this year.

http://prototype.moodle.net/mobile/moodlemobile2/ (It looks better in Chrome, Chromium or Safari)

As you can see, major refactors in the design have been implemented. The new version of the app uses the amazing hybrid apps framework Ionic. Ionic will take care of all the platform specific issues and community feedback, allowing us to focus on developing new features in the future.

Please note that this demo is just a static prototype. This means that you will be unable to connect to a real site, so please do not attempt to. The demo uses pre-filled data - simply add any site url and login detail to enter the application demo.

Warm thanks to all the people who have worked in this prototype:
Martin Dougiamas
Frédéric Massart
Barbara Ramiro
Daniel Palou

We look forward to presenting this to the community of users later in the year, progressing the mobile learning from Moodle sites.

Waiting for your feedback, Juan

Average of ratings: Useful (11)
In reply to Juan Leyva

Re: Introducing Moodle Mobile 2

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

That looks nice - we have a reason to get staff to set the Course Summary field properly now!

You should change the wording of that warning message though, that appears on IE about using a different browser, to MUST use Chrome etc - as it didn't get beyond login screen on IE11 ('should' suggests it works better on another browser, not that it will fail to do the basics).

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Dan Poltawski -

For silly people like me who didn't read it properly in Juan's post: You can enter any site/login details at all and it works.

Kudos guys, I really like this work - particularly it 'feels' much native to me and familiar - the transitions between pages feel more at home - i'm exciting to see it go further.

A random thing I noticed - the course module icons use pngs and not svgs so do not look crisp on a retina screen.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Claudio ancooor -

Hi Juan,

Amazing!!!!! It is fantastic

Thanks a lot for your works.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Roman Savkiv -

Hi, Juan!

Its look very cool! Look forward to the release =)

Can you tell me is it possible to arrange quiz in the application in future?

Thanks!

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Rodrigo Rodriguez -

Pretty good job Juan

I just perform a test and it looks awesome smile

Are you considering en element (different color or bolder fonts) to mark the unread messages?

See ya

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I really like the direction the mobile app is going.  This looks awesome!  I don't know if I would like the entire Moodle experience on a phone.  I think the mobile app is best used to help communicate, notify, organize, and provide feedback from the course.  

I like the alerts/notifications.  Messaging is nice, although we do not enable it for our K-12 install.  I really like the calendar too!  The ability to quickly check your grades is great.  

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Cara Segers -

Hi

This is awesome!

Will users be able to run the scorm files from their mobile devices?  I noticed the current mobile version takes you to the web version to resign in and then run the scorm module from there.

Do you know if it will be possible to run scorm files preloaded on a tablet using a moodle scorm player?  Or do you know of a scorm player that can run local files?

Kind regards

Cara

In reply to Cara Segers

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Cara,

SCORM support is in the roadmap but not a priority, in any case we have proposed a GSOC (google summer of code) project to see if someone wants to participate

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Projects_for_new_developers

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Daniel Villareal -

It looks very nice and snappy.. :D

Looking forward for this update. But is there any update if the developer especially you Juan are planning to put assignment, forun, and quiz features on mobile?

Thanks

In reply to Daniel Villareal

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

we are currently evaluating assignment and simple quizzes, but we are in a very early stage so I can't promise anything

In any case, it will have to wait to the next version (July)

Cheers, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you want to talk about how best to integrate quizzes with the quiz maintainer, then I am happy to make time for a Google hangout / Skype call.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Fabio G -

Hi Juan,

I'm quite interested in developing plugins for MM, but looking to this new version Ionic based I'm wondering if the all app development model is going to change.

Does the plugin development model  work in the same way in MM2?

Thanks a-log, F.

In reply to Fabio G

by Juan Leyva -

There will be changes since we'll start using a new framework Ionic, but we'll provide guides for migrating the old plugins code.

I suggest you to wait to June (or even May), we are still in the decisions phase 

Cheers, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Sumit Dutta -

Hi Juan, 

This is Sumit Dutta from India. I am planning to make the quiz interface for moodle mobile app. Can you tell me bye when we can get the documentation? 

Thank You!

Regards, 

Sumit Dutta

In reply to Sumit Dutta

by Juan Leyva -

Hello,

we are planning to release Moodle Mobile 2.0 at the end of this month, it will come with some basic developing documentation.

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Sumit Dutta -

Hi Juan, 

Thank You for the reply. I would be in touch if i have any further queries.

Regards,

Sumit Dutta

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Sumit Dutta -

Hi Juan!

I tried to run your source code provided on https://github.com/moodlehq/moodlemobile2 but it is giving an error. I have attached a screen shot of that error with this mail. Please find the attachment and help me through this.

Thanks and regards,
Sumit Dutta

Attachment localhost_8100.jpg