Essential 2.8.1.1-RC2

Essential 2.8.1.1-RC2

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 24
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Moodlers,

If you have an M2.8 test server then please could you check Essential 2.8.1.1-RC2: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/releases/tag/V2.8.1.1-RC2

I'm progressively refactoring the code such that child theme support will be greatly improved and you'll be able to do cool things like supplying settings from the child theme to the slider rendering code to have different images without needing to override a single 'layout' or 'layout/include' file.

This release also fixes 'Issue #441: Messages Screen when on mobile ( - 767px ) - background not filling area (region-main).'.

Whilst I do test, with the complexity of Moodle, there is no substitute for 'in the field' testing.  So please help me to help you smile.

Kind regards,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential 2.8.1.1-RC2

by Jona Turner -

Hi Gareth, 

I shall be updating my Dev server from 2.7+ to 2.8+ tomorrow and updating to this.

I will let you know if I come across anything iffy.

In the mean time - (You may have spotted these in the above #441 issue comments) - I have updated the look of the messages screen to be slightly more user friendly. For your consideration, shall I add my code to the tracker?

In reply to Jona Turner

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jona,

Thanks smile.

To make my life easier, could you submit a pull request from your branch with the changes please.

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

I'm getting:

The page layout file did not call $OUTPUT->doctype()
line 863 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to debugging()
line ? of unknownfile: call to core_renderer->header()
line 271 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to call_user_func_array()
line 316 of \admin\renderer.php: call to plugin_renderer_base->__call()
line 316 of \admin\renderer.php: call to core_admin_renderer->header()
line 603 of \admin\index.php: call to core_admin_renderer->admin_notifications_page()

For admin notifications, which I cannot quite figure out at the moment as the code is there for doctype.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Fixed, 'master' now at '2.8.1.1 - RC3' - please use that.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Chris Chapman -

is the new 2.8 version running on Bootstrap 3.0? Just wondering if we can get the 'Hide blocks functionality' working, think Jona wanted to do the same. keep up the fantastic work Gareth, much appreciated smile just installing now..

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Gareth J Barnard -

No worries Chris smile

The current version is still on BS2.3.2 as I've been gradually refactoring the LESS such that it could update to BS3 with out too much grief.  This is all twinned with the new CSS serving mechanism to help both LTR and RTL have a smaller CSS footprint that was first tried in Shoehorn (which is BS3).

Just to remind me please, the 'Hide blocks functionality'?  So not docking or accordion blocks?

by Chris Chapman -

No literally hiding from page, as demo'd in BCU theme 'Hide Blocks' and ' Full/Standard Screen' controls in the header. I believe its a feature of Bootstrap 3.0 a couple of Bas' themes have the same controls.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Oh that!

That's framework independent.

by Jona Turner -

Yes, I remember someone in the forums claiming they'd got it working with Essential, that's why I knew it was possible Chris! smile

In reply to Jona Turner

by Chris Chapman -

So basically a BS 3.0 feature or not? I'm unsure now as essential runs on BS 2.0, but still possible? 

by Gareth J Barnard -

Not a BS3 feature.  Essential runs BS2.3.2.  Is possible.

by Chris Chapman -

ok cheers, anyone able to point me to forum thread where this was achieved..?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Not sure about in the fourms, but BCU has this feature as well and thats running on BS2

by Jona Turner -

Just had a bit of a search and can't find the post I read (It exists somewhere, I swear!).

I'm going to hopefully have a little more time later in the week so I may well just see how easy it is to port from BCU to Essential.

(Here's hoping it's easy) smile

In reply to Jona Turner

by Chris Chapman -

Should be I guess, just trying to get my head round Essential atm, having used various aardvark versions for the last 6 years, its a bit different! 

Currently trying to get rid of the header, and wack our logo where the navbar sitename goes to link to index and move 'custom_menu_courses, custom_menu_themecolours' next to 'usermenu' the pull-left and right is annoying me. Might need fresh eyes tomorrow to attack it!

and thanks again Gareth for maintaining this beast of a theme!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Chris,

My 'Tiny Bootstrap Project' theme has a setting that add an icon in top navbar (home) link.

https://github.com/lazydaisy/tiny-bootstrap-project/blob/master/settings.php#L24-L30

Cheers

Mary

PS:

There is a Moodle Tracker somewhere for that 'Hidden Blocks' mechanism but it was rejected. So maywell be closed but info could well be still there.

I'll search for it and let you know.

M

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Further to my last comment MDL-45269 is what you are looking for.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Chapman -

Cheers. Been so long since I've opened up a theme without my notes guiding me! still couldn't get the logo in the nav, got the setting in fine though. 

Also in the custom-menu items any idea how do you specify fa-icons or better yet (for my use) images?

trying to get something along the lines of this mockup, below is progress of today with essentialProgress with essential today...

Attachment Home_2.jpg

by Mary Evans -

Hello, world!

This is a template for a simple marketing or informational website. It includes a large callout called the hero unit and three supporting pieces of content. Use it as a starting point to create something more unique.

Learn more »

Heading

Donec id elit non mi porta gravida at eget metus. Fusce dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, tortor mauris condimentum nibh, ut fermentum massa justo sit amet risus. Etiam porta sem malesuada magna mollis euismod. Donec sed odio dui.

View details »

Heading

Donec id elit non mi porta gravida at eget metus. Fusce dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, tortor mauris condimentum nibh, ut fermentum massa justo sit amet risus. Etiam porta sem malesuada magna mollis euismod. Donec sed odio dui.

View details »

Heading

View details »

Heading

View details »

© Company 2015

by Mary Evans -

See the Look and Learn post in this forum:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=267662

Sorry my Broadband connecton keeps timing out!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Chapman -

Cheers Mary, already got them and some tabs etc, just below the end of the screenshot. just working out what's best and where, also trying to find a decent jquery news slider that shows more than one item at a time.

We'l get there though!

by Jona Turner -

This looks really good Chris, you've made me want to try to get this working now! (It looks very similar to the IBM software we're taking on soon, so I may well have to 'borrow' the rough look of the header for this and see if I can get it working)! 

The race is on! tongueout I have a feeling from our previous conversations that our game plans are going down the same path!

I'm also going to look at the Fullscreen / hide blocks thing today!

Any progress I make today (if any), I shall share!

In reply to Jona Turner

by Jona Turner -

Almost there Chris! Reasonably simple to do too!

Attachment Screen shot 2015-02-19 at 11.02.58.png