Essential Theme - Course Blocks stay right...arghhh

Essential Theme - Course Blocks stay right...arghhh

by Jeff Krebs -
Number of replies: 10

I am trying to have the old fashion Moodle navigation where all of the blocks through the site are on the left side of the screen. However, I get almost all to be on the left but when I open an individual course, the blocks flip to the right side of the page. Can any one tell me how I can prevent this from happening? 

Many thanks in advanced! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Krebs

Re: Essential Theme - Course Blocks stay right...arghhh

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There is already a setting 'layout' on the 'General settings' where you can have the old left content right type layout.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Jeff Krebs -

I switched it to left in that setting, but when I enter a course, the blocks (nav) move to the right. I can set all on right, but I want all on left.

Attachment image1.png

by Jeff Krebs -

Course view changes to right

Attachment image2.png
In reply to Jeff Krebs

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh ok, in that case leave the 'layout' setting ticked and change 'columns3.php' to 'columns2.php' in config.php here: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/config.php#L97

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Gareth...you forgot the regions need amending too!

https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/config.php#L98-L99

'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post', 'footer-left', 'footer-middle', 'footer-right'),
'defaultregion' => 'side-preost',

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Oh ****, yes I did!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It's a pity we can't split $OUTPUT->main_content() for the frontpage into smaller packets so we can move stuff into new content regions? I was thinking of a stacked layout on the frontpage, bit like this...

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Nice idea!

Now, here is a thought....

The front page is a course.  That course has a course format of 'site'.  If core was changed to allow the user to pick any course format, then contributed ones could be used, such as: https://moodle.org/plugins/view/format_masonry

by Mary Evans -

Ohhh...now THAT is interesting to know!

Thanks

Night Night GB

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jeff Krebs -

Works likes a charm!!!!!!!

Thank you both! 

PS - love all the options in the theme!