give a file to one user

give a file to one user

by Clive Gibson -
Number of replies: 4

I am running Moodle 2.6. Is there a way I can give a file easily to one or a few users only. They need secure access to a personal pdf that I need to give them.

Many thanks

Clive

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clive Gibson

Re: give a file to one user

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have a suggestion for how to handle this, which is going to seem rather crazy, but I believe there is method in my madness, so hear me out ...

Ones first thought about this request is to use group restrictions, or Conditional activities, or something like that, to control access. However, the danger there is that if you get the configuration wrong, too many people might see the personal PDF, and I am guessing that that would be quite a bad thing.

So, my crazy idea it to create an Assignment activity. Specifically create an assignment where the student does not have to submit, and is not expected to submit anything. However, set it so that the teacher gives feedback by uploading a file. The, for any student you need to send a file to, you can 'grade' their (non-)assignment, and put the file there, and they will get an email notification.

I suggest you try this out in a test course, with test user accounts, but it might work.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

First response might be 'crazy' but I think thats a fantastic idea. OK, its not the main purpose of the assignment tool, but its fits exactly the requirement as I understand it and also a similar one I was asked about a while ago and went with the groups, with one student in each grouping etc. - your solution is much neater, and easier to implement!!! I'll be recommending a change before they get that far in the course this year!

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Clive Gibson -

Thank you Tim,

this is an excellent and creative idea. I have just tested it and this seems to solve my problem.

Crazy ideas are usually the best.

Thank you so much

Clive

In reply to Clive Gibson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just confirming that this does work indeed well, (and is not a crazy idea but a sensible onesmile ) as one of the Music teachers at my old school will confirm, having been using this method for a while.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)