Deploying configuration

Deploying configuration

by Simon Vart -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to migrate local Moodle configuration to another Moodle instance ?

My opinion was to backup and upload the database table <prefix>_config and <prefix>_config_plugins - but would it be enough ? 

It would require that the the moodle filesystem is strictly the same on both instances (use case would be for example from qualification to production).

Is there another way (a plugin maybe) to export and reinstall a moodle configuration ?

Thanks by advance to any input to this question.

Regards

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Vart

Re: Deploying configuration

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you try Googline "migrate Moodle" wink

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Moodle_migration

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Simon Vart -

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response - but it is not exactly what i'm looking for and maybe my question was too vaguely formulated.

I don't want to migrate the content but only the configuration options

Courses, users, files - I don't want to transfert them. The targeted Moodle will already have  content.

All I want to migrate is the configuration of the core and the plugins - basically, all the checkboxes, texts, and parameters from the core and all plugins.

The context is to have one server on which we deploy updates and test new features. 

If they are OK, we will transfert them to a live server - meaning manually installing new features (like installing a plugin).

But then we'll have to configure the plugin of the new server - so I was wondering if we could just export some tables from the test server database, import them to the live server database, and then we are to sure to have the right, tested, settings.

In reply to Simon Vart

by Dan Poltawski -

You might find the Moodle flavours plugin useful.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Simon Vart -

Looks pretty interesting ! Thank you very much !

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Chris Schembri Baldacchino -

Does anybody know whether this plugin works in Moodle 2.8? If not, is there an alternative to replicate settings from one Moodle instance to another (fresh) instance.

Much thanks!

In reply to Chris Schembri Baldacchino

by Just H -

I stumbled over Admin presets recently; haven't tried it out thoroughly but from a very quick trial it "seems" to work on 2.8.