Download student records.

Download student records.

by Corrie Emery -
Number of replies: 7

Hi guys

I'm looking for a way to download an entire student record, all forum posts, assigments uploaded, all grades etc. is this possible? we need to store assessments for a time and we do so on another data base.

I know we can do file by file, but im looking for a quick way to get it all in one Zip file maybe..

cheers in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Corrie Emery

Re: Download student records.

by Corrie Emery -

I guess no one can help on this one then???

In reply to Corrie Emery

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You are asking quite a lot really - you want to be able to have Moodle compile student data, which might be doable with some coding, but then you want to take it to another database??  So then Moodle needs to know the structure of your external database and translate everything over....

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Corrie Emery -

what i would like is to be able to dload a complete student record, as a zip. so when i close a students account on moodle i can get all of there info in one file rather then dload the whole thing one bit at a time..

i can generate a report in moodle, showing all their marking and score, but can i dload it / export it to excel.

im sure other universities with hundreds and hundreds of students do this but how??

In reply to Corrie Emery

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well we do what I suggested earlier and archive each year's Moodle site as part of our upgrade process

We freeze the enrolments, clone the site as an archive - staff can get at student interactions/grades etc for each academic year, students can get at previous year's course materials. But then Moodle isn't our official repository for grades, its just a handy way to input them and students to see them within the VLE.

You could also try the Outline and Complete reports in the Activity Reports section of a student's profile - not sure about exporting them, maybe just copy and paste. But also, if the code is there to generate those reports, you could probably take a look at the query that generates them and use that to query the database directly to get a csv file out from the database (or custom report plugin if you want to tailor it a bit more)

Richard

In reply to Corrie Emery

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you need to store everything the students have done, why not just clone your site? - make a complete backup of the site which is then easy to find everything through a familiar interface. Your live site can continue to change and develop as more content is added and student interactions take place, the archive site is a frozen point in time.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Corrie Emery -

that would be a great option however, we have lots of intakes through the year, some classes only running for 8 weeks with 20 student, in the 4 years we have had moodle it would equate to around 200 courses on moodle, a bit of a mess that's why i want to achieve old students from moodle, however we must keep their records for 7yrs.