Regarding uploaded content protection

Regarding uploaded content protection

wót shubh008 kau -
Anzahl Antworten: 16

Hello Everyone,

How i can prevent video,pdf,etc from download,copy,cut to user in moodle. 

Als Antwort auf shubh008 kau

Re: Regarding uploaded content protection

wót Howard Miller -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Peer reviewers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers

You can't. If it goes over the web then your users can download it. You can make it (slightly) more inconvenient (usually for all your users) but if your materials have any value they will be captured. If they don't it didn't matter in the first place zwinkernd

I'm going to respectfully suggest that you are thinking about your online learning in the wrong way if the materials have all the "value".

This, btw, is not a Moodle issue. It applies to all web content. 

Als Antwort auf Howard Miller

wót Mary Cooch -
Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Moodle HQ Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Testers Nutzerbild von Translators

Happy New Year Howard lächelnd  I added the question to the Resources FAQ for next time.

Als Antwort auf Mary Cooch

wót Howard Miller -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Peer reviewers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers

So I see - but I like to answer it anyway breit grinsend

Happy New Year to you too !!

Als Antwort auf Howard Miller

wót Colin Fraser -
Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Testers

ummm as much as I hate to disagree with either you or Mary, Howard, I would suggest that the above is not a complete answer. I am sure that by using Javascript and hacking the code, however that can be done, the Right-Click option can be prevented. Why would you bother to generate that much work for yourself though? Second, Copyright warnings can be made, however ineffective or useless those warnings may be. 

<p id="offtopic" class="rant> The development of the Internet itself has forced everyone to think a lot more about the entire copyright and patent issue, which is why the Trogs are quite prepared to trample all over the national sovereignty of smaller nations and individual rights to shut down Pirate Bay, Napster etc, to maintain their control over that product. It seems the same principles apply here. 

I agree that if someone wants to protect their materials, don't put them out where people can see them. More importantly, if what you have has value, people will use it, but you can never test that value if they never see it. However, if an ego is so demanding of recognition and a mindset requires that recognition in the form of cash, why use the Internet at all? Or, if using the Internet, why be so selfish and not allow all the access the materials can generate? Doesn't make sense to me.</p>

Als Antwort auf Colin Fraser

wót Ken Task -
Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers

"Right-Click option can be prevented." .... Hmmmmmm ....

Funny story? ... had a co-worker some years ago (PC/IE user) who did exactly that ... using javascript/other code to prevent right click.  Co-worker sent me a link to the 'protected' page 'daring' me to acquire the file.

Visiting the page I was able to download the 'protected content', place it on a page created in another area to which co-worker had no access to edit/change, sent the link to the co-worker.

Sadly, it did burst co-worker's bubble! :|

If one embarks on such a quest, be prepared to code for ALL OS's, ALL devices.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Als Antwort auf Ken Task

wót Colin Fraser -
Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Testers

Yes Ken, it can be broken, perhaps not that quickly, but so can just about any other "protective" device employed to prevent copying. So why make that kind of effort? Waste of time actually. I have done it, just to see if I could, but then the next day, it was broken, never bothered again-but then I had complete control over the site and wrote all the code myself. Thought I was being so clever only to be completely deflated the next day.. not good for the ego..lächelnd    

wót Howard Miller -

To repeat myself...

"You can make it (slightly) more inconvenient (usually for all your users) but if your materials have any value they will be captured. If they don't it didn't matter in the first place"

And on this occasion I'm right. You can disappear up your own posterior trying to achieve this and all you do is make it a (little bit) trickier. Total solutions *do* exist but require complete end-to-end control over the delivery (and by that I actually mean having the keys to the door where the PCs live). If we're talking about users in their own homes who have complete control over their own machines then there is no solution. 

The other way of looking at it is - what's wrong with your users downloading the material for offline viewing. What you *really* mean is "how do I stop users giving it to their friends without me getting any revenue?". That is not really the same thing. My assertion is that if your business model consists of making videos and selling them with absolutely no added value then you might want to rethink your business model zwinkernd

wót Floyd Saner -

There is no way to prevent screen capture, taking screen photos/videos, etc.  If something is displayed on a computer screen, it can be captured and distributed.  Disabling right-click is only a minor diversion.  In fact, I believe most general users will think of using screen capture or using a cell phone to take photos/videos before they think of using right-click.

- my opinion  lächelnd

Floyd

Als Antwort auf Floyd Saner

wót Jez H -
Als Antwort auf Jez H

wót Christine Healey -

Fantastic, Jez - I've badly missed being able to download websites since I updated my ancient computer.

For legitimate purposes, of course, such as showing websites when no internet connection is available.

Als Antwort auf shubh008 kau

wót ryan sanders -

internetsafebrowser?   i think is the name... it can disable / enable a few things. i have never downloaded / used it. but i would imagine it is more geared for school / collage settings. for test taking. 

------------------------

with day and age of internet. i get a little offended going to sites that disable right click. more work was put into disabling right click and dealing with trademarks and copyright, and all the other stuff. vs putting out the good info in first place.   i will more likely find site with "control issues" be lacking in major content and wealth of info vs other websites. 

------------------------

pdf files, have there own limit. but i still hate pdf files (it annoys the living daylights out of me having to see a pdf file),  put the info in HTML format and display it. vs forcing me to download the content. about only thing pdf file is good for is to print something without the website header menu, left menus and right hand side menu stuff.  

pdf files can be filled in with some stuff. for copyright and like. and password protecting but again.. *beh* just give me the info... in html format. 

forget the pdf, and if need be use a document file. from microsoft office, or open office, or like office program. so i can edit it as a end user to put in my own notes. and copy paste from it all i want. 

to note, password protect files, i have brute forced a few of them. when someone forgot there password. it may take a little time letting computer crunch away. but easy enough to do. 

-----------------------------------

----------------------------------

-----------------------------------

videos and pictures = water mark = best way to deal with things. 

some video formats, and pictures, including different types of documents. can be embedded with specific details.

for example.... on a windows computer... open up "file explorer"  change you view to "details" on right hand side.  then right click on one of the "column names" example "file name"  and then click "more".... better programs will allow you to add detail into these listings (with some amount of detail but not much)

it may not prevent someone from copy/pasting/trading. but, many most likely do not know how to easily edit all that info out. let alone know it is there. and if you can track someone down that is using/abusing. these details could be something to fall back on.  when i state many do not know how to edit these details out... i mean, it normally ends up needing a programmer to write a custom script to add/edit/delete these details. 

with above displaying copyright notice and/or trademark info, or the like in text stuff, including business logo / name (not full address / contact info), so users actually see it. vs trying to force them to behave like you want, maybe a better strategy.  including linking to documents / sites of copyright info that explains info of what it means. for a moodle course. create a html page or like at the top of the course. with info. so users always see it, if it is that big of an issue. other wise toss statement/links into bottom footer of page.  perhaps creating a 'quiz" per say. that gives detailed info of licenses / copyrights, etc...  if they accept they get 100% grade. and able to continue on with rest of course.  if they do not agree. they fail the course do to not able to continue on within the course. 

Als Antwort auf ryan sanders

wót Richard Oelmann -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers

Just one point I'd put a counter argument to yours Ryan and thats where you recommend using office documents instead of pdf files.

PDFs can usually be read in browser without any additional software even on mobile devices - office documents can't usually and require additional software to be downloaded. Even when that additional software is downloaded, rendering the documents is much better in pdf than in any form of mobile office software.

I would however completely agree with your suggestion that at all times, they are better being added as proper html content rather than separate files in the first place! lächelnd

Als Antwort auf Richard Oelmann

wót Richard Oelmann -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers

hmm - 'all times' in my own comment...

pdf scans of books by a university library - under copyright licence and within an internal VLE? (I know our library will only release them as PDF and not as image files which could be embedded directly in the page - whether that is the licence or their decision I couldn't say)

large pre-existing documents or those which have to be produced separately anyway - would need a good reason to recreate an existing 250page Word document as html content within workload agreements

So exceptions to that comment do exist and Im sure many more could be found lächelnd

Still not disagreeing with you exactly Ryan - just putting alternative points for consideration lächelnd

Als Antwort auf Richard Oelmann

wót ryan sanders -

excellent replies richard! 

PDF and scanning of books... OCR software is only so good.  i tried a few times running different OCR software. and scanning in pages. to point they could be in HTML format or like. from just regular paper documents, to a couple book pages.  it was kinda of a nightmare. having to select multi things, so the OCR software could turn a picture in essence and convert into formatted text. 

"word wrapping" also comes to mind with PDF files and printing on different size paper and/or scanning stuff in... can be problematic. to point "zoom functions" makes everything so small, that it is not even readable.   good example of what word-wrapping is...  windows computer open up "note pad" click up on "format", and if there is a check mark beside "word wrap" uncheck.. start typing stuff up, till stuff starts moving off screen. then go back and turn it back on. now everything wraps. automatically to notepad size / screen size.  no need in old days of a type writter having to hit "enter key" for a new line. it auto does it.  PDF on a smartphone or tablet... vs nice easy word wrapping...

PDF files allow images, and text and different fonts to be saved in a single file (all in one), and reproduced else were.  

the issue with  TIFF images :/ quick and easy. but large resource hog. multi TIFF images in a single file gets even uglier... and needing special program at times to view individual images in the TIFF.  

have issues of saving spot in longer PDF files. ((old paperback book, and a bookmark insert)), vs adding a few lines in a documents. such as the below 4 lines being enough so i can scroll and skim right to... or editing a couple lines in first page of document. or simply saving page via bookmark in the browser. 

===========

===========

===========

===========

i have had issue with adobe reader, and alternatives. crashing computer, crashing browsers, being forced to download vs viewing in browser, download 1 meg file. for what amounts to a paragraph of info if that. *big frown* in complete downloads or corrupted pdf files. 

have had some issues needing to scan in multi pages of documents, into a pdf. for submission...  "company / government" sending out a pdf file, to print and fill out, scan it back into computer and save as a PDF, then submit via CD vs just sending out a document file. in the first place. that could be edited in "wordpad" that comes with every windows computer, and mac's have like program.  no images, no nothing on the document. just text :/  and no signature or initials needed on the documents / forms...

and of course the original PDF is write protected with password... with no editable fields... looking into pdf file, you could see it was typed up in office program. and then saved as a PDF *bangs head against desk*

=====================================

i don't know about anyone else.... back in the old days... k-12 and collage. approx 1/3 or more students wrote in there text books, along with used highlighters, along with possibly a paper notebook for some scribbling / notes... in some classes it was a requirement by teacher to write/highlight in the book. i need to be able to still do that. heck i still want to do that... and i still do that... ((comments within programming code))  it does not matter if programming, to math, to grammar, to other...   give me something i can edit on the spot. or be able to quickly copy/paste from.   HTML format, is far easier, to work with javascript, than having to deal with pictures and in essence video capture. things...

both the ATTO editor in moodle and Tinymce editor. lets you copy/paste from word document or like and directly paste into the editor. "automatically converting" from document format to html format.  there is no saving file as a different type. simple...

1. open up document
  2. CTRL + A = select all
  3. CTRL + C = copy
  4. goto atto editor or tinymce editor in moodle. put cursor in the box. 
  5. CTRL + V = paste
  6. click save on the moodle page.

with drag and drop of pictures / files with moodle, being able to drop/drop an image, and insert in line. easy to do.  tinymce might auto upload image right along with copy/paste of text? i remember some settings perhaps in premium edition of tinymce. not sure if moodle switched over to the repositories and created own function for that or not in 2.x version. i remember 1.x a few version had it.

==============================

moodle has a "license"  www.yoursite.com/moodle -> site admin menu -> plugins -> license.  i am not familiar enough with were this info appears in moodle.  i remember being able to select license type for a couple activates or resources. but what right off not a clue which activity / resource types.

=============================

for longer documents.  i don't remember if moodle has the "html book" or if it is a plugin... with chapters. and splitting stuff up in chapters and different pages. more html pages. the more of a pain in rear it is to copy/paste entire book. let alone save each page.  i am not sure if "webcopier" programs / offline browsers even work with moodle in that respect. reducing easy hacker attempt of copying everything.