Pick and Choose Build a Learning Experience

Pick and Choose Build a Learning Experience

deur Chris Kenniburg -
Getal antwoorde: 10
Prentjie van Plugin developers

Looking at different workflows for Moodle to try and make things easier for teachers.  Has anyone looked at an a la carte approach?  I created a diagram to show the process but essentially you have a bank of individual units/projects/chapters which are self-paced courses which award students a badge upon completion.  The teacher uses their main course to handle daily communication and assessments but requires the students to complete the other units.  This is more of a "build your own" learning experience where the teacher can pick and choose what units or projects they want the students to complete.  Thoughts?????

Attached is a diagram of the idea.  

Here is a google doc: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1qg1Uu5mzdHKU2ozFHlNEIpRBnXLpc4tW5YqT8UtkOBI/edit?usp=sharing

Aanhangsel Moodle Workflow.png
Gemiddeld van beoordelings:Useful (1)
In antwoord op Chris Kenniburg

Re: Pick and Choose Build a Learning Experience

deur Itamar Tzadok -

Have you looked at Course meta link and Metacourse examples of use? glimlag

Gemiddeld van beoordelings: -

deur Paula Clough -

Chris,

This type of thing could be done in Moodle as Itmar and Ryan are giving you hints about. The one thing I would like to point out is that if the teacher is not developing the course, the teacher will need a lot of training and support during the course to make this work correctly and smoothly.

If the teacher is going to assign which activities or set of activities the individual students are going to have access to as you seem to be suggesting, they can create groups/groupings to do this. A lot of different groups can be created then the groupings will allow the instructor to decide which groups goes with specific activities. With the completion tracking turned on, it can be set so that students in some groupings see the activities and the others do not.

Here's where to find the basics of Groups and Groupings

Groups:  https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Groups
Groupings:  https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Groupings

Good luck with your project!

deur Tania L -

Awesome idea Chris! 

I'm also exploring this idea for professional development, self paced community learning page in higher ed.  For inspiration and ideas - you might want to check out how one instructor had a gamification approach. I can't take credit for this link as it was shared to me from Tammy Moore

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=263547

I also experimented with Conditional activities  https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Using_Conditional_activities

Found a page with free moodle badges  http://moodlebadges.com/

Have fun.

deur ryan sanders -
there needs to be a better way in moodle. to handle "personal learning environment" and i am  not seeing it within moodle. to help support what you are wanting to do.  so schools/teachers can share more content much easier.  across the entire K-12, and collage class rooms...

it would be awesome... to be able to goto say moodle.net enter a few key terms, and categories, and narrow search down to a few things.  pay if need be, and either download and restore into there course/meta course.

but at moment, i have not found any standardized classification / categorizing of information.   and i am going to assume it is going to come down to,  developers of "personalized learning environments" like yourself to come up with a standardized approach, to list things. and see about getting that classification / categorizing put into moodle.  i have had a few ideas... but i am so far out of my knowledge zone / comfort zone... *ughs*

deur Chris Kenniburg -

Thanks for all these suggestions.  We are working on a few things.  I will report back any success we might have.  

deur dawn alderson -

Hi,

Chris bit late swinging by, but would like to add some overarching thoughts, if I may.

Re:  The teacher uses their main course to handle daily communication and assessments but requires the students to complete the other units.  This is more of a "build your own" learning experience where the teacher can pick and choose what units or projects they want the students to complete.  Thoughts?????

I like the diagram.  It does appear to me, however, there is a strong focus on independent activity, and when Paula, helpfully,  mentions:

Groups: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Groups

Groupings: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Groupings

well, my idea from the docs/practice is to aid the teacher for organisation purposes.

When Ryan refers to personalised learning env-this also appears to promote an image of lone learner in my mind.

What I think is missing in the diagram and as I say, across the big picture, is the an explicit promotion of oppts for peer-to-peer engagement.  I think, drawing on my expertise, such engagement requires students to develop skills for this mode of learning ...especially across HE, where there is an expectation to become an independent learner, but collaborative activity is often the number 1 item on a work- place list....tools that afford such skill development to my mind are a winner.  Additionally, how those tools obviously link with/for teachers' practices (I mean explicit in the functionality of the software) in order to  assist peer-to-peer skills for collab-learning, is arguably underdeveloped.  

cheers,

Dawn

In antwoord op dawn alderson

deur Chris Kenniburg -

Thanks to all for continued suggestions.  We are still hashing things out.  

One thing that is apparent is that using Meta-Courses would be ideal but it currently lacks support for bringing over the groups.  Even a simple grouping of students based off the originating coursename would be preferred so that multiple teachers can quickly find their students in the Units and Projects of the diagram.  

I know there is a plugin that adds support for groups in Metacourses, however, long-term for us to implement something like this we would feel more comfortable pursuing this with actual moodle support for it.

deur Rene Folse -

I have had a Moodle LMS operational for about a decade, and am now looking at improving and upgrading.  Unlike a university environment, I provide continuing education for lawyers and doctors.  Every LMS I have reviewed this go around, is teacher centric, meaning the teacher builds a one-size-fits-all course.  The groups idea noted above expands this to several sizes rather than one, but still does not allow me to provide a unique learning experience for a professional learner who really does not want social involvement.  Pick and Choose would seem to explain what I need.

I have a few hundred hours of curriculum now organized by topics that make rigid classes the old school way.  I would like more granular control.   This is what SCORM was supposed to do, but so far never really delivered.  My concept is to sit with a highly trained professional, and go over a catalog of learning objects and orally discover gaps in competencies.  As the oral evaluation continues, I "click a box" and assign learning objects that exactly match the gap.  The screen tallies the hours this adds up to, and when the correct continuing education hourly goal is reached, I save the file and this creates a custom course for that unique learner.  All I want is a report back tracking progress, and at the end either a certificate or perhaps a competency exam and a certificate. 

This seems so simple in concept, and perfect for professional learners in applied technologies and sciences that just want to build specialized competencies in very focused areas that are not applicable to general audiences.  I want to build a library of these topics and just pick and choose on an ad hoc basis. 

I have not found one LMS that can simply deliver this simple concept.  Was this not the promise of SCORM decades ago?  Anyone have any ideas on how to just link a library to a player and get feedback to a tin can repository, and omit all the forums, blogs and so on that are not needed in these specialized areas.

I hope someone has found this, as I have been looking about a month with no luck.

Rene