PoodLL Assignment, filepicker not working

PoodLL Assignment, filepicker not working

by Damien Roux -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I am experiencing problems with the PoodLL online assignment plugin.
The filepicker for assignments does not seem to work properly with android mobiles on our Moodle (Moodle version 2.5.7 and installed PoodLL plugins are all up to date).

When i click on the "Record or Choose File" button nothing happens.

I did some tests with smartphone/tablet on our moodle and on the PoodLL Demo Course:

Tests on our Moodle with smartphone (Galaxy S4):
-S4's Native browser (mobile theme mymobile): nothing happens
-Chrome (mobile theme mymobile): nothing happens
-Firefox (tablet theme instead of the mobile one): the filepicker works but it does not proposes the native voice recorder of the phone, only Dropbox / Video recorder (=video, not audio) / file explorer.

Tests on Poodll Demo Course (Galaxy S4):
-S4's Native Browser: IT WORKS ! And the filepicker proposes the Voice recorder !
-Chrome: IT WORKS ! And the filepicker proposes the Voice recorder !
-Firefox: the filepicker works but it does not proposes the native voice recorder of the phone, only Dropbox / Video recorder (=video, not audio) / file explorer.

When testing with a tablet (Galaxy tab 3) on our Moodle, the results are the same than on the PoodLL Demo Course, i can not record audio files:
-Chrome: the filepicker works but it only proposes Dropbox / "Find command" app / Sound reader
-Gt3's Native Browser: the filepicker works but it only proposes Dropbox / "Find command" app / Sound reader
-Firefox: the filepicker works but it only proposes Dropbox / Pictures / Galery / Find command / Video recorder

How can I make our PoodLL assignement to work correctly ?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Damien Roux

Re: PoodLL Assignment, filepicker not working

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Damien

Its a bit of a puzzle. The PoodLL running on the demo site is a wee bit ahead of the released version, but not too much in mobile upload area of things has changed.

Two things to check. 

i) are there any javascript console errors when using your moodle/poodll with the S4 to record audio?

https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/console

ii) does the S3 offer a sound recorder in the file dialog anywhere at all? Not all androids do.

Justin

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Udit Saxena -

Hi Justin,

On Androids, 

i) for cases where the sound recorder is not in the file dialog, is it possible to still record using MediaRecorder classes?

ii) Is it possible to directly open the sound recorder app directly, from the Record button? Not sure where the appropriate file dialog invoke code is present in poodllresourcelib.

Thanks!

Udit

In reply to Udit Saxena

by Justin Hunt -

Sorry for the slow reply. Right now we are limited to working with what Android (and iOS) provides in the file upload dialog. 

I do not think it is possible to call on the SoundRecorder App and get back the sound. But it might be.

I am not sure what you refer to by MediaRecorder classes. If you mean native APIs, no. If you mean HTML5 web apis, then it should be. It is something I have to hurry up and implement. But we are not there yet.

In reply to Udit Saxena

by Justin Hunt -

Sorry for the slow reply. Right now we are limited to working with what Android (and iOS) provides in the file upload dialog. 

I do not think it is possible to call on the SoundRecorder App and get back the sound. But it might be.

I am not sure what you refer to by MediaRecorder classes. If you mean native APIs, no. If you mean HTML5 web apis, then it should be. It is something I have to hurry up and implement. But we are not there yet.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Damien Roux -
Hi justin,

Thank you for your help and sorry for the slow reply.
I figured out what the problem was. It was all about the MyMobile theme which seems to have a broken filepicker.
I did some tests with other mobile/Responsive themes and the application selector worked propertly.
I apologize for offending the "poodll assignment plugin" which was not responsible for this problem.

You were right about the s3 tab, there is no native sound recorder installed on it.

Best regards,
Damien