Notify students process

Notify students process

by William Mair -
Number of replies: 5

Can anyone confirm the process for notifying students from the assignment module?

If a student is graded and the assignment is hidden (therefore the student cannot see the grade) with the notify student set to yes, does the notification email go out when clicking on Save, or does it go out once the assignment is no longer hidden?

Also, if using the marking workflow process, does the email go out when the student is graded (with a status for example of student marked) or once the status is set to Released?

I can't see anything in the documentation about the notify student option.

Any help with clarifying the process would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William Mair

Re: Notify students process

by Alicia Owen -

Hi William,

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you - I'm wondering the same thing at the moment. We have a number of tutors who are using marking workflow, and the assignments are set to 'not marked'. However, students are receiving email notifications to tell them they have feedback, even though there is none yet! I think this is because the tutors are 'saving' as they allocate another tutor, and the default setting is 'notify students' - yes. I thought the marking workflow would override this but apparently not!

Did you work anything out on your side?

Does anybody know if there is a way to set the default for notifying students from 'yes' to 'no'? I have looked but can't find it in the site admin settings.

Thanks!

Alicia

In reply to Alicia Owen

by Stephen Overall -

Hi, Alicia:

The admin can set the default for notifying students from 'yes' to 'no' here...

Site admin > Plugins > Activity modules > Assignment > Assignment settings

Look in the Default Assignment Settings section for Default setting for "Notify students" which is the fourth setting from the page bottom. See attached screen shot.

I also have the same question about how notifying students works while using the Marking Workflow feature. If I use Marking Workflow (in my case while using the Marking Guide advanced grading tool) and mark student work as Completed but not Released, if I then change all student marked work to the Released status, then will Moodle then send out emails to notify students of their now released grades?

Regards...Admin default assignment setting for "Notify students"

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stephen Overall

by Alicia Owen -

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for that. I still can't see that setting (can see the others above and below it!), but we're on Moodle 2.6 - will be moving to 2.8 in the next month, so maybe it's a version thing?

Relating to your question, I think the answer, in theory, is yes. We've had a couple of tutors do this recently and email notifications did go out  once they set the assignments to 'released'. However, there was some confusion, with some notifications being sent out beforehand, I think because of the 'yes' default setting when they had saved a change. Hopefully we can get around this by changing that setting when it is available to me.

Best wishes,

Alicia

In reply to Alicia Owen

by Stephen Overall -

@ Alicia: I'm running Moodle 2.7+ so perhaps the setting is not available for 2.6. I'm not sure. Thanks for the feedback on the marking flow setting.

Regards...

In reply to Stephen Overall

by Alicia Owen -

Hello,

FYI, I'm doing a bit of testing in 2.8 at the moment, and have noticed that here, when using marking workflow, the 'notify students' option is greyed out, until you choose 'released', which is going to make things much easier I hope!

Thanks,

Alicia