BCU Theme support

Re: BCU:New Theme Available :-D

by Andrew Longhurst -
Number of replies: 19

Hello,

Firstly thanks for sharing a great theme. I am relatively new to moodle and we are testing this against a clone of our production site for implementation into a k-12 environment.  We have some questions about your theme. My knowledge isn't enough to know if they are theme or system related so feel free to direct as appropriate.

1. The heading of the footer block1 doesn't seem to be displaying correctly. Screenshot included it should read Contact Us above the Institution name and address. Second block seems to work OK.
  2. We are using the enrolled courses grid and it seem to limit to displaying 10 courses on the front page and in the my sites menu.  Our students typically have more than this.
  3. If I add a picture to the course summary file it does not show up on the tile for the course. Default pictures work without error.

We are running version 2.8.5 and BCU Theme 1.3, we have some custom css to remove the messages menu and that is it.

Regards

Andrew Longhurst

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 1.32.31 pm.png
In reply to Andrew Longhurst

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I am assuming you added that Block as an HTML block? In which case I am also assuming you gave it a title of Contact Us. Is that right?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andrew Longhurst -

Thanks for your reply Mary. I used the footer settings in the theme configuration pages. From inspecting the html it doesn't seem to pick up the title.

Regards

Andrew

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Marketing spots! Sorry...my mistake. I am just testing it out now.

by Mary Evans -

Its looking bad.

I have DEVELOPER mode debugging enabled and every page has errors on it!

Hells bells...what have they done to it!

Will try and debug it and get back to you tomorrow if I get time.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jez H -

Hi Mary,

Any pointers you could give to help get it fixed faster would be greatly appreciated blush

Regards the mobile navigation playing up Mike found an issue with the bootstrap JS earlier but has not been able to resolve it yet.

Can you tell me which version of Moodle you are running this on?

We still have our prod site on 2.7, I am not sure if the issues being reported are solely down to a borked version of our theme or whether there are any changes in 2.9 contributing to it?

In reply to Jez H

by Mary Evans -

2.9 which is what the theme says it is suitable for.

theme_bcu_moodle29_2015051800.zip

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jez H -

Hi Mary,

It was tested against 2.9 but that is not what we are running on our live site, so if there are any 2.9 specific issues they are not going to be as obvious to us.

In reply to Jez H

by Mary Evans -

To be honest it is nowhere near ready for 2.9. So please remove that tag in the Plugins dowload area.

There are some coding errors you need to fix.

Debugging showed quite a few PHP warnings

To be truthful it's a bit of a mess.

Sorry

Mary

In reply to Jez H

by Mary Evans -

Hi Jez,

I have just tested this in 2.7 and works OK.

Although there is a missing 'echo' in the footer.php for the header of footer1header. 

Not sure why you have added a 'title' class to the h3. Unless 'headers' don't get picked up by screen readers, or something?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Jez H

by Mary Evans -

Missing $string:

Invalid get_string() identifier: 'unreadnewnotification' or component 'message'. Perhaps you are missing $string['unreadnewnotification'] = ''; in lang/en/message.php?

line 349 of \lib\classes\string_manager_standard.php: call to debugging()
    line 6656 of \lib\moodlelib.php: call to core_string_manager_standard->get_string()
    line 235 of \theme\bcu\renderers.php: call to get_string()
    line 183 of \theme\bcu\renderers.php: call to theme_bcu_core_renderer->bootstrap_process_message()
    line 105 of \theme\bcu\renderers.php: call to theme_bcu_core_renderer->get_user_messages()
    line 56 of \theme\bcu\renderers.php: call to theme_bcu_core_renderer->render_user_menu()
    line 91 of \theme\bcu\layout\includes\header.php: call to theme_bcu_core_renderer->user_menu()
    line 27 of \theme\bcu\layout\columns2.php: call to require_once()
    line 1015 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to include()
    line 945 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
    line 68 of \theme\index.php: call to core_renderer->header()

EDIT: These are the only related $strings in moodle/lang/en/message.php

$string['unreadmessages'] = 'Unread messages ({$a})';
$string['unreadnewmessages'] = 'New messages ({$a})';
$string['unreadnewmessage'] = 'New message from {$a}';

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jez H -

Thanks Mary,

Mike made a commit to our repo a few hours ago to fix messaing, not sure if that has resolved the issue you were seeing?

by Jez H -

Hi Andrew,

Did you try the sample HTML in the readme file?

It is available on our GIT repo if it is easier:

https://bitbucket.org/jezh/moodle-theme_bcu/overview

In reply to Jez H

by Andrew Longhurst -

Sorry I think I may not have been clear enough.  I haven't looked at the detail but the marketing spots seem to work ok. 

The error is showing up when we use the footer settings page on the theme, I did use the sample HTML but the block does not seem to show the heading that we set in the config page. Seems to be an issue for footer block 1 only as the others will display the heading.

Regards

Andrew

by Mary Evans -

Hi Andrew,

Try this footer.php instead.

It should fix the problem.

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Jez H -

Thanks for providing this, we will get that fixed.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jez H

by Andrew Longhurst -

Thanks Mary & Jez,

That has worked for us. Any ideas about the number of courses being capped at 10 on our frontpage and mysites menu.

I haven't been able to find any setting as such.

Regards

Andrew

by Jez H -

Hi Andrew,

That's nothing to do with the theme its a core Moodle setting, go to:

Site Administration > Front Page > Edit Front Page Settings

and edit the number in "Maximum number of courses"

In reply to Jez H

by Sara Bozzini -
Hello,
I had the same problem: 10 is the limit of enrolled courses visible in the home page.
I'm using a 2.7.8 release, with BCU (I love this theme!) and in the home page I want to show the list of all enrolled courses

In this case (I think it is the same for Andrew) BCU theme, before checking the "Maximum number of courses", in order to have the list of enrolled courses calls the function
block_course_overview_get_sorted_courses
that calls
block_course_overview_get_max_user_courses
that returns 10 courses.

This function uses the config variable: block_course_overview

You can change its value in Site Administration -> Plugins -> Blocks -> Course Overview, editing "Default maximum courses".

To be sure of the result I checked also "Force maximum courses", so students can't change this value.

I hope this helps,

Sara
In reply to Sara Bozzini

by Jez H -

Hi Sara,

There is a setting in Administration > Front Page > Front Page Settings titled "Maximum number of courses".

Changing that should alter the max number shown on the homepage.