Adding assignments manually for students

Adding assignments manually for students

by H Singh -
Number of replies: 2

I am the instructor for a course that is being run on Moodle (2.7).

I switched to using Moodle for evaluation midway through the semester. Prior to the switchover, I was using Moodle mainly for information interchange with students, posting homeworks etc.

Now, the semester just ended, and I have been left with a problem which is a legacy of the late full adoption.

In September, I had posted a Homework assignment using the assignment plugin, which asked the students to submit their assignments to TurnitIn (this was a non-optimal decision in retrospect). They did. We downloaded all the assignments as PDF files, and graded them, adding PDF comments etc.

Now, we have a problem (or at least I see it as a problem).

We have a homework assignment 1 evaluation component that has basically no Moodle submissions. To communicate the grades to students, and to make sure that credit for HW1 gets added appropriately, I want to manually upload the graded PDFs somehow for each student, score them and call it good.

That means that my TA has to have a way of masquerading as each student in turn, upload all the PDFs (I do not care about submission dates at this point), etc. Now, I noticed that I can "grant extensions" to all the students one by one, but they still need to upload the assignments themselves. That is impossible now since we are talking about graded PDFs.

Is there some kind of super-user kung fu that can allow us to do this?

I have 2 other homeworks that were properly handled after the switch and they nicely appear in the gradebook.

Yes, yes, I should have not switched in this way, but color me a sceptic who got won over late. The first mid term was a similar story, except that the scripts in that case were graded offline and the scores uploaded as a csv file. Not an option here as the homework and grades are all in electronic form. I certainly do not want to email the PDFs separately to each student if I can avoid it.

All other exams were conducted using the quiz module on Moodle and I must say I was impressed. But that is a different story. This is about the assignment module.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to H Singh

Re: Adding assignments manually for students

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm not sure there is an easy way to upload the PDFs as each student (but I will await corrections from others on the forum).

However, if you just care about getting a grade into the gradebook, you could create an assignment, with no submission methods enabled (i.e. no file upload, no comments, etc.). You could then grade each of the students there (you could also turn on 'file' feedback and upload the marked PDFs as feedback). That way the grade would appear in the gradebook.

In reply to Davo Smith

Re: Adding assignments manually for students

by H Singh -

We figured it out thanks to another student of mine.

The way to do this is to choose feedback as files. Simply attach the PDF as feedback, include a score, and we are then done smile