Display gradebook

Display gradebook

by Pieter Portier -
Number of replies: 16

I run moodle 2.8, theme Elegance and I noticed today that the display of the gradebook suddenly has changed.

The columns of the gradebook are no longer restricted to the dimensions of the block.

Can anyone tell mee how/where to make the adjustments.

I have included a screenshot.

Thank you in advance,

Pieter

Attachment gradebook.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pieter Portier

Re: Display gradebook

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. I don't know anything about themes or the Elegance themes so  I cannot advise, but in the meantime while you are waiting for a themer,  I wonder if this tracker issue might be of any interest? MDL-48169

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Being Bootstrap 3 parent theme based, I have the same issue in Shoehorn even with 'overflow' set to 'scroll'.  I have not thought of a solution yet....

Attachment 2014-11-12 14_35_16-Grades_ View.jpg
In reply to Pieter Portier

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In Moodle 2.8 the way the grade book is displayed has changed dramatically. For instance, the list of students used to have a setting to make it stationary instead of scrolling out of sight. It automatically is supposed to do that now, while even the blocks get out of the way. Until all the themes get updated for 2.8 you will probably see problems like yours.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by ben reynolds -

Al's message got my interest going. The new grade book on Mt. Orange is beautiful and works as planned. I hope my organization gets to 2.8 sometime soon.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - some nice students in Mount Orange  too -I'm particularly proud of Brian Franklin and Amanda Hamilton wink

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Affects Essential too.

I have been thinking about this a lot, even dreaming about how a possible solution could work.  The old way of two scroll bars was a solution so that if you were near to the bottom or top then you could scroll the table = great = worked.  But... why the new solution?  At first I thought, nah, that's elegant but from a UI point of view, wrong, but then... by not having scroll bars on the table but rather using the browser scroll bars because the document is big (not the window) then that means you can use a scroll bar wherever you are in a long list of grades, which is cool, its an improvement.  So, now the question of a solution.  How to make things work now.  Ok, there is a clear need to make the container of the table bigger, but it needs to not force the whole layout of the page bigger and clearly a block region cannot be to the right (or left in RTL) of the table otherwise 'where's my blocks?'.  So need to put the block regions underneath the report table, keep them a sensible width and expand the report area.

Looking at the 'Clean' theme it has no 'actual solution' as the table escapes its container 'span9', you just cannot tell because there are no borders.

So as a result of this, still thinking.  Anybody else have a solution in mind?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Make the background all the same colour (white) and remove any max-width setting on that page if nothing else. The scrollbar in the browser window is all the scrolling you need.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Chapman -

Hmm this is a pain, it doesn't even work properly with the 'More' theme that comes with moodle 2.8! Has anyone come up with a solution yet for bootstrap themes? other than Mary's background colour suggestion?

Does anyone know of any bootstrap themes that the new gradebook works well in that I can test and work out what I need to do?

sorry for the rant!

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Gareth J Barnard -

I've solved this in Shoehorn: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=275233#p1183096 and will do shortly for Essential.

by Chris Chapman -

That was a quick response, cheers Gareth.  JUst sent you a PM btw

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, not completely fixed as floating grade average at bottom does not appear when scrolling down.  This is doing my head in.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ah ha, it does work in Shoehorn as long as you don't resize the window to test.  Looks like the JS is not reactive to window resize events.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Is that scrolling down problem with Overall average bar in your own theme, or Clean as my own theme works perfectly.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

As I said Mary, works in "Shoehorn as long as you don't resize the window to test.  Looks like the JS is not reactive to window resize events.".  Clean should be the same, will not work quite so well if you resize the window.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Chris,

The Gradebook works as it was meant to work but has a bug (see below for more info), and looks OK in Clean and More themes. It has changed its appearance by replacing the top and bottom table scroll bars with one single scroll bar at the bottom of your browser window. This allows you to scroll both left and right.

The only problem which is causing havoc at the moment is that if Email addresses are not selected as being in the grade book then the Student names are not static and so scroll out of view. So to make the names stick you also need to keep the email addresses too. This bug is in the process of being patched as I speak, and so should be available in a few days in the weekly download.

Cheers

Mary.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

It only works in the Clean theme because there is no border around region-main, as soon as you slap one in you see an issue.

Attachment 2014-11-25 13_30_32-Grades_ View.jpg