Essential 2.7.9b pre-release

Essential 2.7.9b pre-release

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Themers,

Please test: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/releases/tag/V2.7.9b which has:

- FIX: Issue #326: Submit panel overlaps the message input area.
- FIX: Issue #329: Social icons in mobile view showing odd behaviour.
- FIX: Issue #330: Slider caption below causes jump.
- FIX: Issue #346: Affix header height when using the old navbar setting.
- FIX: Issue #349: Background missing in private messages.
- FIX: Issue #350: Background missing after posting to forum.
- FIX: Issue #352: Piwik function clash with local plugin version - https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=local_analytics.
- FIX: Issue #356: Incorrect $filename in /pluginfile.php/1/theme_essential/style//essential.css.
- FIX: Issue #357: Beside slider option layout issues.
- UPDATE         : moodle/core.less - MDL-47340 & MDL-47097.
- UPDATE         : moodle/course.less - MDL-47340.
- UPDATE         : moodle/responsive.less - MDL-47242.
- NEW: Issue #247: Provide option to prevent automatic collapse for breadcrumbs.
- NEW: Issue #327: Font file types.
- NEW: Issue #340: Show slider navigation icons only when mouse in the slider.
- NEW: Issue #354: Ability to turn FitVids on / off.

and supersedes: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=274319.

Cheers,

Gareth

Attachment 55936391.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential 2.7.9b pre-release

by S. Ali -

Thank you very much for the excellent work. Greatly appreciated.

Moodle: 2.7.2+ (Build: 20140918)

Essential: 2.7.9b

A few observations:

1) Slide Show

The "Beside" option is most welcomed. Thanks for fixing the issue mentioned in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=274307#p1179455.

• With this option may the text alignment also be set using the setting: slidecaptioncentred so that when it is not set to centered, the text will be left aligned?

• Additionally, may the text be made a bit smaller or alternatively, is there a way to change this using the Custom CCS box?
  • With the Underneath option, when the picture is scaled and the border added, the shaded text box overlaps the bottom border - perhaps the box should be dropped by the width of the border. (When the original image size is less than or equal to 300px it seems to be fine.)

• Similarly, with the On top option,the bottom edge of the coloured text box is flush with the picture and the bottom border is not visible.

2) Breadcrumbs

• With the new setting: Fancy with no collapse, the home icon is missing.

• With the regular Fancy breadcrumb that collapses, the Home icon and logo icon have the colour of ‘themeiconcolor’. In 2.7.7 the Home icon was the same colour as the rest of the breadcrumb text (themenavcolor) and the logo icon was the same as ‘themecolor’. May it be reverted?

• With the Simple option, I'm not sure if these are intended:
    • Breadcrumb appears to be on a very light gray background.
    • There is a thin line in the theme colour, between the Logo icon and the Site name.

3) Floating bar

• The floating bar at the bottom is projecting to the right over the menu options. This is with Fixed-width (Normal).

Thank you for the opportunity to provide feedback.

Best regards.

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi S. Ali,

Thank you for testing smile.

With...

The 'slidecaptioncentred' option is not meant to work with the 'Beside' option, but only the other two.  Perhaps a contradiction that needs thinking about.

The size of the fonts are responsive and done in CSS with media queries, so Custom CSS would be tricky.  I'll think about reducing them.

With the underneath and on-top option the image shadow is not meant to happen, so that is a bug that has crept in.

Fancy-no-collapse no icon will fix.

Fancy collapse - probably a bug that has crept in 2.7.8 and not spotted before.

Simple - new bug.

I thought this was fixed.  Will check again.

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

by S. Ali -

Thank you very much.

Breadcrumbs look very nice now (but the vertical theme-coloured line still appears between the Site name and Font-Awesome icon logo as in the screenshots a few posts above).

Slide show also looks good.

Just one thing with the "Beside" option of the Slideshow - the text is quite close to the left arrow but it's not touching it. Is it possible to move the left arrow a little more to the edge as it seems more indented than the right arrow.

The floating bar is better but sometimes still overlaps when the browser is full-screen. I think a while back it was centered with respect to the main central section rather than the whole page width, but I could be mistaken. That way it did not interfere with the side items.

Another observation ....

Edit Quiz page

The  extended Question bank section has been nicely tidied up in this version.

However, it's a bit difficult to determine what the questions may be as the Question name and text displays very few characters. If the Question name could display a few more characters that may be helpful.

I know that the Quiz module is being redesigned, and Moodle 2.8 is expected soon, so you may decide whether it's feasible to work on this request or not.

Thanks again.

It's a pleasure using Essential.

Have a good day.

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi S. Ali,

Thank you for testing again.

I'll adjust the left margin, seemed ok to me when I sorted it last night.

The dots have always been in that location for the BS 2.3 slider, they were underneath in the previous slider - for which I do NOT want to discuss / talk / deal with complaints any more about, I've reached the end of my tether with that subject.  The BS 3.3.0 slider has dots underneath so may happen if Essential updates to that.

With the question bank, that was corrected to fix a bug with that area extending beyond its bounds.  I'll look into putting it below or on top of the list of questions.  EDIT: A good solution would be the footer blocks functionality in Shoehorn, but that's a big job along with detecting that this is the quiz and adjusting the admin layout to suit.  So would be an enhancement for the future, probably after BS3 upgrade as then I could then almost copy / paste the code.

Gareth

by S. Ali -

Hello,

Thanks for your great effort in maintaining the theme and doing a very good job.

Actually I didn't mention anything about the dots. They are fine to me and a guide to which slide is being displayed. I think it's a norm with these slide shows.

What I referred to was the floating bar like with "Save", "Cancel" etc. depending on the task at hand. It was item 3 in the original list. Sorry for not being specific enough.

I think moving the question bank sounds like a good idea. Whichever option you deem best should be fine once it's easier to identify the questions.

Thanks again.

In reply to S. Ali

by S. Ali -

Thank you.

I'll have a look at it and provide feedback if necessary.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to S. Ali

by Floyd Saner -

RE:  Moodle 2.7+, Essential 2.7.9b (Build: 2014110400);   Editing quiz question order

In my case the question text overlaps the icons (view, edit) and the box to specify the question order.  I had to add the following css code to limit the text.  I'm not certain what the max-width should be.

#page-mod-quiz-edit div.question div.content .questiontext, #categoryquestions .questiontext {

max-width: 40%;

}

Floyd

In reply to S. Ali

by S. Ali -

Hello,

Yes, it seems that a little more fine tuning is required.

The section of the left covers the icons.

Thank you for increasing the length of the Question text on the right, but would it be possible to increase the Question name instead as that is generally more concise (the first part that shows as "si...")?

Thank you.

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

Tweaked in https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/commit/227eacd5af87f460112a3eaa3fd972a8d7e05111 - therefore: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/releases/tag/V2.7.9c.

Unless there are any 'major' bugs then that will have to be it as the minor micro management tweaks are driving me nuts.

by S. Ali -

Hello Gareth,

I think the issue with the Order and Paging section of the Edit Quiz page (as in the last screenshot posted above - left hand section) may be considered as a bug as the icons to Edit and Preview the question are not visible and the Reorder box is not accessible.

However, if I place the code given a few posts above by Floyd Saner in the Custom CSS box it seems to sort out the issue - I used 30% because 40% was still preventing the Preview and Edit icons from being displayed in some cases.

#categoryquestions .questiontext {max-width: 30%;}

It did affect the text on the right in the Question Bank, but at least the functionality on the left returned so that's fine.

Thanks again for all that's you've done to make the theme a pleasure for us to use.

Best regards.

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

With #categoryquestions .questiontext {max-width: 30%;} you are having a laugh right?  I mean, that is less than the original code of #categoryquestions .questiontext {max-width: 40%;} which was causing the issue over the question text in the first place!  So, when you use that CSS do you get question names less than the original issue screen shot?

by S. Ali -

Not really a laugh. More like feeling badly for your having spent time on something that will need to be reverted.

But on a positive side I didn't notice before that (with 40%) the icons were missing sometimes (last few on screenshot above).

With 30% it seems fine.

And yes, there is less text displayed for questiontext, but the compromise of less text for questiontext is okay in order to have the functionality of the editing icons.  Questionname is what I think is more useful in the Question bank section with the limited space available.

Thanks again. Hopefully that will be it for this rounds of testing. Looking forward to the final version.

Have a good day.

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, I looked into the footer block regions last night in my Shoelace theme and realised I could easily port the code, so I have, resulting in a solution where the side-pre blocks are rendered underneath for that page type.  I've also changed the report layout too.  This results in more space:

Attachment 2014-11-07 12_29_24-Editing quiz_ Sports.jpg