Moodle - Academic vs workplace

Moodle - Academic vs workplace

by Peter Bowen -
Number of replies: 3
Hi All,

Moodle from my understanding is heavily based around the academic world, and is very strong in that field. This world means you complete a course, get a qualification, and you permanently have that qualification, i.e. it never expires.

In the workplace, or even some vocational training facilities, you have courses which are only valid for a period of time, for example First Aid, or Fire Evacuation drills etc.

My history - I have worked for a Vocation Training provider, which has a combination of one off courses (Certificate in Child Care) as well as expiring courses (First Aid, Anaphalaxis etc). My current role is within a major hospital which manages the training requirements for all staff, which includes some one off courses, but some which must be completed every year.

I know I have struggled with this on and off over the last 2 years, and came up with a few options on how to 'handle' the situation. But it then occurred to me, I can't be alone in this conundrum, and I have seen occasional posts from various people with this same issue.

My present thoughts are:
  • Create a new course each year with the same content, and enroll all the staff in each year. Of course we run reports, so have to update these reports each year, and staff can't do it in Jan, then update in September etc.
  • I have recently worked on some SQL code which pulls the latest successful completion of a SCORM, and updates the completion table with the correct successful date

So I am not a developer, although I dabble with modifying other peoples code, but it seems to me that it shouldn't be hugely difficult to have a type of course completion which can be 'updated'

For example, we have a First Response Evacuation Instruction package which staff must complete every 2 years. Staff can go back into the SCORM package, and it will complete them again, however the gradebook or the completion date doesn't get updated.

What would thoughts be about getting an additional gradebook option, or course completion option, which means if you do the course again, then you get the gradebook and completion date updated with the later date?

I am aiming this initially as a conversation starter, but I guess if we get enough traction on this, it may be something Moodle looks at to make it a more flexible option?

Kind regards
Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Bowen

Re: Moodle - Academic vs workplace

by Just H -
You can roll your own (we have something similar; course is static people have to redo every 3 years, 3 month before expiry we run a script that moves current results into an "archive" quiz which clears them to retake the original) or you can have a look at something like ELIS that has it built in if you can figure out how to install it.
In reply to Peter Bowen

by Derek Chirnside -

There are other people on this forum (an I have been one of them) who believe Moodle has become more corporate, and less educational, more training centred and less constructivist.

Totara has done a lot of work to assist the needs you describe.

Plugins like the Learning Plan https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_learning_plan, checklist and progress bar may help what you need.

This post has the right TLA (CPD), but no details I can find yet: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=274310

You can fix Moodle to do what you want.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by dawn alderson -

Hi all,

re: 'What would thoughts be about getting an additional gradebook option, or course completion option, which means if you do the course again, then you get the gradebook and completion date updated with the later date?'

Sounds as though there is a need in moodle, but also some alternatives that can be considered.  

Two things then, that may be food for thought:

1. Normally First aid courses and similar courses are accredited and therefore updated by the awarding bodies. This means that I am not sure if there is anything needed more than a simple record keeping system in moodle....this sounds akin to the observation thread elsewhere-to log stuff for recotrd keeping-maybe, of course.

2. I am wondering if this type of thing add gradebook option/course completion option in relation to the need outlined, was an apparent biggie in the recent gradebook survey outcomes/data.....that might be useful to know.

cheers,

Dawn    smile