Why do My Home and Assignment report on Teacher's submission status?

Why do My Home and Assignment report on Teacher's submission status?

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hello,

I have not been able to answer this question for quite some time now - it has been affecting the Moodles I have used so far - from Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2.7.

The scenario is: the course teacher sets an assignment and expects the My Home page to report on assignments submitted (or not) from his / students only, but NOT really from him/herself. Why does the My Home insist on informing the teacher about the status of "My submission" ..? The same happens within the assignment itself - why should the teacher see his / her "Submission status" at all?

Is there a way to control this behaviour - make it dependable on the user's role in the course?

Thank you for any help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

Re: Why do My Home and Assignment report on Teacher's submission status?

by Kirsi Kataniemi -

Same problem, help.... anyone....?

In reply to Kirsi Kataniemi

by Ryan Sager -

I've seen that happen when the teacher is also enrolled as a student for the same course.

In reply to Ryan Sager

by Kirsi Kataniemi -

Ryan, nice point - but not relevant in our problem - unfortunately...  but good to see, that people are reading these messages... smile

In reply to Kirsi Kataniemi

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The teacher seeing their own submission status problem will be fixed in Moodle 2.8, out very soonsmile MDL-45729

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Mary,

Given that 2.7 is a LTS version will anyone be looking at whether any of the numerous 'fixes'/'improvements' that are going in to 2.8 can be back ported to 2.7.x?

While I will be running 2.8 on my own personal installations/development systems, I know in work we will not be upgrading from the 2.7LTS for a few years now (although we will move within the 2.7.x range - I hope!!!), but it would be good to see some of the developments passed through to there - Obviously its not appropriate for all the work being done, new features and developments shouldn't be backported, but maybe some of the issues like this one that often come up as 'its being fixed in 2.8' might need looking at whether they are appropriate to backport to 2.7?

Rich

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Good point - with ref to that particular one named above, I note it says it will only be added to master (ie 2.8) because it will change the default view of an assignment and might confuse people - but if that means removing teacher view of submission then I am not sure that will confuse people. Might be worth asking?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Przemek Kaszubski -

I'm thrilled to hear this glitch will get fixed in 2.8, and vote with both my hands for the fix to be backported to 2.7. In my original post I meant just the "My submission" part of the submission status displaying for teachers - nothing more, nothing less. 

Many thanks!

by Przemek Kaszubski -

Happy to report Moodle 2.8.1 really has this fixed :

1) Teacher does not see own "submission status" on My Home

2) Teacher does not see own "submission status" inside assignment, just "Grading Summary".

Great !

by Przemek Kaszubski -

2.8.2 here, not yet 2.8.3 - admins who also happen to be teachers do see the "My submission" reports on My Home and in the Assignment - is this deliberate?