compare Chamil another open source LMS

compare Chamil another open source LMS

by john Simpson -
Number of replies: 4

on viewing my Cpanel from my host Hostgater in quickinstall I noticed there was that  another open source LMS had recently been added  alongside Moodle called Chamil. Has anybody tried out this LMS? 

Out of curiosity I've just installed it, as it is simple and free to install and use. 

http://www.chamilo.org/

Average of ratings: -
In reply to john Simpson

Re: compare Chamil another open source LMS

by john Simpson -

I continued my research into chamilo and discovered a topic which is of  to me as an individual, and that is going it alone on Chamilo. To a lot of people an lms is normally considered to be a system to be used for institutions such as universities, schools and colleges. But what about  individual teachers who want to set up online schools teaching online. Is an LMS suitable or should they be looking at something else, is chamilo suitable? Can Moodle be even better?

Some say chamilo is easier than moodle to use, but I have to disagree as I find moodle much easier to use.

In reply to john Simpson

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

That is a good idea, John, micro classes, individualised learning taken to a much more refined level .... but the guy talking... erm.... seems to talk a lot without saying much. Be ideal for tutoring individuals I would think. Thanks for this, I can think of at least a dozen or so people who would benefit from this kind of attention. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by john Simpson -

I think it is more in line with being an independant and individual teacher teaching groups of students rather than teaching individuals. For those teachers already teaching groups face to face, this would be a great opurtunity for those teachers to expand into blended elearning. It could be profitable for EFL teachers for example.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by john Simpson -

Yes , I must admit that this guy was a bit slow in getting to the point, even so he is going in the right direction in regards to using an LMS as an individual providing courses. It claims it can take 500+ students. 

Perhaps this tutorial will be a bit clearer.It's very much like Moodle, where a linux server is recommended, or using a webhost like hodtgater to install it.