Error connecting to my backpack

Re: Error connecting to my backpack

by Simon Coggins -
Number of replies: 6

See my latest comment on the bug here. It seems there are some more references - searching the code for BADGE_BACKPACKURL is the best way to find them.

We'll be updating the proposed patch to try to fix all references.

Simon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Simon Coggins

by Carey Hamburg -

Simon,

What is the status of the fix for the complete process? We installed the initial patch and can now again connect to BackPack through Moodle. We are still getting the message that there are no "Public Collections" when our accounts clearly have them. This prevents any display of our public badges in Moodle.

Please let me know if you have a further update.

Thanks!

Carey

In reply to Carey Hamburg

by Simon Coggins -

The fix has been released as part of Moodle 2.8.9 and Moodle 2.9.3.

As mentioned above, when testing the fix some more locations that needed to be changed were found - rather than applying a patch I would recommend upgrading to one of the versions above to ensure you have the full fix.

If that's not it (you are already running on 2.8.9 or 2.9.3 but still experiencing problems) can you let us know?

by Tom Scott -

Hi Simon,

I've got the latest Moodle patch but my error is slightly different:

Broken

In reply to Tom Scott

by Simon Coggins -

Tom,

That particular error looks like a problem with Mozilla Persona (the sign in system for accessing badges from the Mozilla backpack) rather than the code in Moodle.

I've found a couple of reports with similar errors:

https://github.com/mozilla/persona/issues/2009

https://github.com/mozilla/django-browserid/issues/286

You might want to report to the persona team here:

https://github.com/mozilla/persona/issues

I don't think this is related to the recent problems in this thread.

Simon

by Tom Scott -

If it was truly a problem with Mozilla persona, surely I would have issues logging in to Mozilla backpack from elsewhere?

to clarify I can access my backpack from the internet and their website from here:

But I when I try to link it with my Moodle profile from here:

I get the error as stated previously...

Same device, same browser, so the only thing I'm doing differently is I'm attempting to access the backpack from within Moodle.

does that help to explain?

In reply to Tom Scott

by Simon Coggins -

Signing in to the backpack and connecting via the API will take different code paths, so being able to sign in to the website doesn't indicate the problem is with Moodle. The error you showed is definitely part of Persona's code, and the fact that there are other reported errors with the same message make me strongly suspect it is a persona issue.

I'm not able to reproduce the same issue on my Moodle Cloud account (though I don't have access to IE to test).

So at this stage I think my advice of contacting Mozilla is still the best course of action. Any other information you can provide may help though, for example:

• Exact version of moodle, and server details such as database, server type
  • Whether the issue happens for you in other browsers
  • Debugging information on network activity during the connection attempt. This will require opening the developer tools and looking for errors on the console and finding and exporting information about requests. I'm not familiar with how to do that in IE so can't really advise further.

Simon